Faceoff: Assigned parking spots for seniors

There should be assigned parking for seniors to ensure everyone who wants to drive to school has no trouble finding parking on a daily basis.
Photo courtesy of istock

For WCHS students, senior year is synonymous with freedom. The beginning of 12th grade brings more flexible class schedules, off-campus lunch privileges and, arguably most importantly, access to parking spots. The limited number of spaces forces WCHS to organize a system for parking., and every summer, incoming seniors check their emails in hopes that they lucked out in the parking spot lottery. Although this has always been done through random assignment, students have begun to question whether there is a better approach.

It is rumored that next school year, WCHS will cease the parking lottery in favor of a first come, first served approach. Proponents of this new system argue that many of the current parking issues will be solved. While it may seem like a good idea, this system has the potential to cause more problems than it solves.

One of the biggest issues with the first come, first served system is the lack of organization. When students arrive each morning, they will have to spend their time searching for available spots. Even if security guards are appointed to monitor the lots, it will be impossible to tell which spaces are still available when dozens of cars are trying to park at the same time. They will not be able to keep up with the number of cars streaming in. Additionally, this distracts from the other responsibilities security guards have in the morning, such as monitoring the sidewalks and directing traffic. With randomly assigned parking spots, students know exactly where to park, eliminating competition and making the parking and drop-off process more efficient. 

Traffic congestion has consistently been an issue in the mornings. The first come, first served approach will only worsen this problem. Currently, cars trickle into the parking lot at a relatively steady rate, with more activity between 7:30 a.m. and 7:45 a.m. Implementing the new system will likely cause an influx of students around the same time each morning. People will likely be competing for the same spots, as they are all up for grabs.

Moreover, the inevitable disorganization of the parking will have cars circling full lots looking for spaces before being forced to find parking elsewhere. Students who are dropped off in the mornings have no incentive to arrive earlier, so they will arrive to find that the parking lots are a mess. 

Although parking spaces are currently only offered to seniors, the removal of assigned spots will make this rule harder to enforce. This introduces the potential risk of students in other grades trying to park in the lots, worsening the traffic congestion. Mornings will become more hectic and everyone will be slowed down.

Advocates for first come, first served parking may argue that it will reduce tardiness by incentivizing students to arrive at school on time. However, the chaos that will ensue as a result of the disorganization makes the entire process less efficient and could increase lateness. The confusion of where to park will back up the parking lots and worsen the traffic on the roads.

Additionally, there is the issue of students leaving campus for lunch. With parking spaces opening up, the lots will be hectic during the lunch period. Students who go off campus will likely return to find that there are no more available spots and will need to seek parking elsewhere. This could significantly worsen the tardiness of students to their sixth-period classes. 

Randomly assigned parking is by far the best solution WCHS has to the problem of limited parking spaces. It is the most efficient approach, and makes the parking lots less hectic and safer for everyone. WCHS has maintained the parking lottery for a reason: it is the fairest and most organized option available.