Halloween Costumes: The Lack of Uniqueness Over The Years

Photo by Clara Young
WCHS senior Lyndee Sklute dresses up as a vampire for Halloween on the night of Oct. 31.

Halloween. A night meant to be filled with gut-wrenching horrors and blood-curdling screams. However, what is seen is the complete opposite. People used to wear terrifying costumes to ward off ghosts in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. However, the same repeated and overdone costumes fill the holiday each year.

First is the classic vampire costume. Although a vampire is a standard scary monster, calling this costume of a vampire frightening is a joke. Rather than truly going all out for this costume, the blood-sucking creature has become a scapegoat for those feeling lazy and unenthusiastic. People think a bit of fake blood and some black clothes will make their costume shine and do not even attempt a more interesting version. Although vampires will always be classic monsters, they have become the staple go-to last-minute costume.

Up next is pirates. Whether it be a cute costume for a group of friends or a daring costume that embodies characters from different pirate movies, this is a costume that could fit any vibe. Unfortunately, this costume has been overdone due to its ease and versatility. This year, pirates are considered the 12th most popular Halloween costume according to Visual Capitalist, and sixth most popular Halloween costume in 2022 according to CNN. Pirates have consistently held a top spot in the costume industry despite yearly costume trends, such as this year’s “Barbie”. Though convenient, let’s boycott pirate costumes so that it move down a couple of rankings in the popular Halloween costume list.

Next up are dark angels. People try to be creative by making a twist on the cliche angel and devil costume by creating an evil angel. In reality, this has been repeated time and time again. It is not a surprise when one spots a fluff of dark feathers on someone’s back or sees loose feathers on the floor at Halloween parties. What even is a dark angel? Stupid, that is what it is.

Finally, the Harley Quinn costume (sometimes paired with a Joker duo). She may be an exceptional character, but it does not mean that every other couple must dress up as this duo. Ever since 2015 Harley Quinn got the first spot of most popular costume according to CNN, she has floated on and off the rankings of most popular Halloween costumes. Especially after the 2020s “Birds of Prey” movie with Harley Quinn as the main character, she has been all the rage on the night of October 31st. So next time, try to steer clear of this DC Comics character and maybe choose another such as Black Widow or Batwoman.

With these few costumes in mind, try to have a creative Halloween! Halloween may not be the scariest night of the year anymore, but that does not mean it has to be composed of the same five different costumes. Get original and come up with a unique costume to debut on the night of October 31st!