CHS couples need to get a room or get out of the way

As I make my way to first period, the hallways of CHS are flooded with students trying to do the same. It’s a chaotic five minutes, yet once I finally reach my classroom door ready to take my seat, there they are—the couple lingering in front of the doorway taking their sweet time to say a thoughtful, heartfelt goodbye. We get it, you love each other… but can you please just get out of the way?

Throughout the duration of high school, students prepare for the day they have to go out into the real world and conduct themselves in a mature fashion. I hate to be the one to inform students of this (actually, no I don’t), but in the real world people do not stop in the middle of the hallway to make out with their partner. In fact, it would be considered immature and socially unacceptable.

The Parent and Student Handbook, given to every student at the beginning of this school year, does not mention any regulations regarding public displays of affection (PDA). According to assistant principal Doreen Brandes, school is treated like a business, and students should conduct themselves accordingly. Teachers do not mind a quick kiss goodbye or holding hands, but when lines are crossed they have to intervene.

So, how much is too much: holding hands, hugging, frenching? It is a huge testament to one’s morals where they draw the line and whether they find PDA acceptable in a school environment.

Clearly, there is a line that separates the acceptable ways to express affection and the unacceptable. For example, handholding is a perfectly acceptable way to show affection toward your special someone. It is physical, and best of all, you are moving at the same time so you are not blocking any hallway traffic—this is key.

However, stopping short in the middle of the social studies hallway to take a moment to kiss and say bye-bye is unacceptable. Students in this school have a tight schedule and are expected to get to class on time. Students do not want to have to explain to their teacher that they are late because they got stuck behind the kissing couple moving at approximately 2 mph.

Maybe you want to cause discomfort for a certain teacher or a peer that stole your ex. Whatever the motive is, just know that you are inconveniencing the entire school, as well as making everyone extremely uncomfortable. So, please just take it somewhere else.

The saying “out of sight out of mind” is the ideal when it comes to PDA in school. As long as you and your partner are not out in the open, feel free to participate in all the snogging you wish. Most importantly, as long as you are not acting as an obstacle I must negotiate to enter my sixth period Spanish class, act in whatever manner you please.

The hallways of CHS are a dangerous place for students. The possibility of getting pelted in the face with a backpack or getting pummeled by an enormous football player always exists. The last thing we need to worry about is bumping into a couple playing tonsil hockey in the middle of the hall.