Spring fever swarms CHS, causes distractions

Many students are catching a fever and it’s not swine flu, allergies, or a staph infection. It’s spring fever, and science has shown that it has just as much standing in the medical world as these other ailments. Interestingly enough, this so-called fever is actually more than just psychological.

According to a New York Times article in which Dr. Normal E. Rosenthal explains the science behind spring fever, the increased daylight beginning in spring causes the brain to produce higher levels of melatonin—“a hormone that affects mood levels.”  The result: “a sense of comfort, warmth and renewal…and lack of ambition.”

“I do notice a difference in my mood during the winter versus spring,” senior Shaina Lippmann said. “I am much more happy and relaxed in the spring.”

While it could be argued that Lippmann is simply suffering from senioritis, students in all grades can surely relate to her more relaxed attitude.

“I think my mood is happier in spring because it is warmer,” freshman Gretchen Van Winter said. “School is almost over [unlike during] winter when we are in the middle of school and it’s cold and depressing outside.”

As if spring break on a beach is not enough of a reminder of the weather that is to come, the hours of daylight have been increasing since March 20, the start of spring. This combination can make it tough for some to transition back into their daily routines.

“I am anxious for school to be over and summer to start,” Van Winter said. “It’s hard to focus in school sometimes because I’m just thinking about how summer is so close and how nice it is outside.”

Although these extra hours of sunlight are the culprit, students should use their resulting energy to their advantage and focus on finishing the next few months of school until the fever passes.

“I try to do as much of my work in school as I can,” Lippmann said. “That way when I’m home, I don’t have to do as much and I’m free to just relax.”