Movie madness: the most popular 2024 movies to hit theaters so far

Photo courtesy of IMDB
¨Anybody but you¨ has swept tiktok and the nation by a storm. This new movie is only rising in popularity staring Sydney Sweedney and Glen Powell, this moive is a new staple romcom.

Churchill students often spend most of their time at school, after school activities, or at home. Churchill students binge tv shows or watch comfort movies to unwind and relax. Recently, many new movies have been released, some better than others. Watch these new movies with your friends and family the next time you are trying to unwind or get a good laugh.

Anybody But You
Developed from the Shakespeare reading, “Much Ado About Nothing”, Bea (Sydney Sweeney) and Ben (Glen Powel1) have a great first date which quickly goes down the drain after finding themselves reunited at a destination wedding in Australia. To get both Ben and Bea’s family off their backs about finding someone, they strategically pretend to fall in love at the wedding. This movie has done incredibly well earning almost $190 million in box office, not to mention bringing back “Unwritten,” by Natasha Beddingfield, a song featured in the end of the movie which was quickly adapted into TikTok. “Anybody But You” has become a classic rom-com movie that took off in theaters and continues to do well.

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
A long awaited prequel taking place over 60 years before the original hunger games. Young Coriolanus Snow (Tom Blyth) is tasked with guiding a young tribute, Lucy Gray Baird (Rachel Zegler) to victory in the hopeless and treacherous hunger games. Faced with almost impossible odds and the wealth of his elders actively working to destroy him, Coriolanus is unafraid to lie, cheat and kill to seal the win for his tribute. This blew away fans expectations, the hunger games fan community blown away by this interpretation into a movie. This exceeded their expectations and further completed their visual series.

Saltburn
Set in Oxford, this movie took TikTok by storm. Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan), a student who has an unfortunate living situation, befriends another student Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi) who he soon becomes obsessed with. This obsession is not very clear on the surface at first as Oliver gets invited to Felix’s estate. This recent film has caught young audience’s attention and it has become very popular making just over $20 million.

Wonka
A remake of the most famous “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” starring up and coming actor Timotheé Chalamet. With dreams of opening his own store, Willy Wonka and his friend embark on an adventure selling chocolate, with Wonka fulfilling his own dream of becoming a renowned chocolatier. This movie serves as a prequel to “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” where Wonka earns his status and opens his factory up to five lucky kids. Wonka has gained popularity as a fun kids movie that those can watch with siblings, friends and family. Although it was not all the rage on social media, “Wonka” has become a multi-million dollar box office hit.

Mean Girls
A broadway musical brought to theaters, what could be so bad about it? “Mean Girls” the musical, released in early 2024, took a popular hit off of Broadway and put it into theaters. Cady Heron (Angourie Rice), a new student welcomed into the highest ranking friend group, has to learn the dos and don’ts of highschool after being homeschooled for majority of her life. She falls into an endless hole of expectations and gets faced with the harsh reality of being friends with Regina George. As popular as the original movie is, the musical version didn’t do as well. As excited as fans were to see this movie, it did not meet nor exceed the expectations fans had. This created disappointment all throughout theaters shattering the hopes that fans had, commentary has been made upon trying to make the film fit the generation more which has ultimately failed.

Recently, many movies have made history that many generations to come will watch with curiosity and excitement. The buildup around new movies is incredibly strong due to school media and talk about it. Overall the movie industry is currently booming, coming back strong after the writers strike.