The Observer Previews the Upcoming NBA Season

The NBA 2013-2014 season begins tonight, Oct. 29, as the Miami Heat, the 2012-2013 reigning champions take on the Chicago Bulls.

There are many headlines this season, including Derrick Rose’s return after missing last season with a torn ACL and Miami’s bout for a third consecutive championship.

Unlike the past couple seasons, this season should bring real competition for the first seed in the Eastern Conference, as the Brooklyn Nets acquired Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Jason Terry from the Boston Celtics over the offseason to play alongside Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, and Brook Lopez in the  lineup.

“The Nets’ acquisitions this offseason are going to put them in title consideration,” junior Eric Murray said. “Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are old and have, at most, two years left of good play in them. The Nets need to capitalize on their opportunity to win right now.”

Along with a resurgent Nets squad, the Bulls and the Knicks look to compete with the Miami Heat for the top seed in the Eastern Conference. However, the Heat’s time atop the Eastern Conference is threatened by the potential departure of LeBron James, who is a free agent after this season.

“I think that it would be pathetic of [LeBron] to switch teams yet again in his quest for glory,” junior Jake Smith said. “Switching teams to win rings is not the true definition of a superstar.”

This season’s rookie class also looks to make significant impacts, as many rookies have been touted as possible starters for there respective teams. Here in D.C., the Wizards drafted Otto Porter out of Georgetown University to join Bradley Beal and John Wall for a young trio o offensive firepower.

According to Washington Wizards assistant coach Don Newman, Porter, despite shooting poorly in summer league play, “he just needs to get his confidence going.”

Another large storyline is Dwight Howard, who after a season filled with injuries and lackluster results, left the Los Angeles Lakers to join forces with James Harden in Houston. Despite his All-Star caliber statistics, many fans are not fond of Howard for the way he forced himself out of the Orlando Magic system.

“I think how he handled the situation in Orlando was kind of stupid since he had one year left on his contract,” Murray said. “What he did in L.A. was even worse. However, I think he will be a good fit with the Rockets and  that Houston will be a top four team in the Western Conference.”

Speaking of the Los Angeles Lakers, all fans are wondering when the Black Mamba Kobe Bryant will return from his Achilles tear and hoping that his return and play after is as good as it was before.

“He isn’t invincible,” Smith said. Eventually, age and injuries are going to catch up to [Bryant], and I think this will be the season they do.

Will this be the season the Heat are dethroned? Will Dwight Howard win his first ring? Will a dark horse win it all? Let us watch as the season begins to unfold. CHS students, enjoy the return of the NBA.