WCHS cafeteria manager honored by National Nutrition Council

Photo courtesy of @TheMocoShow on Instagram
Those who were honored by the Division of Food and Nutrition services in 2024. Mrs. Wendy Stellakis, WCHS lunch professional honoree, is third from the left in the back row.

Celebrating school nutrition professionals as heroes highlights the importance of their role in promoting student health and well-being, enhancing the public perception of school lunches and the individuals who run them. Additionally, the honors have fostered a sense of loyalty and commitment, reducing turnover rates and promoting continuity in school meal programs.

“Honoring school nutrition professionals publicly attracts positive attention from parents, students, and school administration,” Jones said. “I have seen that school nutrition professionals, being recognized publicly for their contributions, has enhanced their job satisfaction, leading to higher levels of motivation and engagement.”

Stellakis appreciates what the Division does in supporting the cafeteria workers but also recognizing good work and bringing the community together. She is also proud of what she does and that she supports the WCHS community her way.

“To me, being honored means I’m being recognized for my loyalty, hard work and impact on the community,” Stellakis said. “I make sure that kids are being fed in schools and eating well. I’ve been here for 24 years so I guess I like it. It makes me feel good I’m being honored and that I give back to the community, it’s my job.”

Jones chose a deserving person to honor when she chose Stellakis. She is one of those heroes hidden in the spotlight that has impacted student’s lives every day.

“Wendy is the definition of a team player, always willing to assist others, proactive in troubleshooting concerns, routinely working extra hours to ensure operations are smooth and willing to take on additional responsibilities when needed,” Jones said. “She is truly a lunchtime hero in every sense of the word.”