Students take ‘promposals’ to a whole new level

The only thing better than stalking seniors on Facebook the morning after prom (Other than going to prom, that is) is catching a glimpse of cute proposals—a.k.a. “promposals.”  Here are some of the Class of 2013’s sweetest promposals.

A Twist on the Classic

Senior Noah Bergman hung neon signs on the fence leading into the A-lot with senior Paige Brody’s name on them and arrows pointing to her parking spot.  He then placed cups spelling “PROM?” in the fence in front of her space.  When Brody pulled into her parking space, which is next to his, he was standing in the spot with flowers and a neon shirt with writing that read, “Paige, Prom?”

“I had no idea it was happening until that moment,” Brody said.  “I love the way I was asked.  It was perfect.”

Putting the Pieces Together

Senior Jared Liss asked senior Alden Knife to prom when she was in elementary school.  Well…at least when she was working at one.

Liss gave a customized puzzle that read, “Alden, prom?” to the teacher of the Bells Mill Elementary School class that Knife interns for.  The teacher gave Knife the puzzle to complete with one of the students.

“The kid started to put it together and all of my kids were watching me and then I saw my name,” Knife said.  “I was freaking out, and the kid who was putting the puzzle together said he knew the surprise, so then I realized what was going on.”

Once Knife put the puzzle together, Liss walked in with flowers asking her to prom.

“I thought it would be cool to do something with her kids, and to be asked somewhere she wasn’t expecting anything,” Liss said.

According to Knife, she did not know “when, how or even if” he was still going to ask her, and she “was totally shocked.”

The Hole-in-One

While at the driving range of Falls Road Golf Course, senior Jack Reese not only succeeded in playing golf—he also succeeded in asking senior Camille Chetrit to prom.  While Reese and Chetrit were hitting golf balls, an employee at the River Falls Golf Course drove the golf picker by with a sign that Reese had made that said, “Camille, prom?”

“It was sort of windy so we had a bit of trouble anchoring it to the cart,” Reese said.

Chetrit was caught completely off guard by Reese’s promposal.

“I loved the way I was asked,” Chetrit said.  “It was so cute and original.”

Parking Lot Party

Imagine attending a free concert with music blasting, a crowd cheering and ample confetti-throwing.  Junior Adam Settlage brought the concert to the bus loop circle on four cars blasting the same song and with banners that spelled out “PROM” for senior Amanda Lotwin.

“This one just seemed to be the most epic,” Settlage said.  “And that’s what every girl wants, an epic promposal.”

Settlage had some difficulty getting the party to the parking lot, so senior Chani Werely created a public event on Facebook inviting everyone to come out and join the fun.

According to Settlage, Lotwin saw the event but restrained herself from reading the description until Settlage could change the privacy of the event.

It took Settlage, Werely and juniors Shelley Austin and Maddie Krueger a day to prepare for the promposal because they had to buy all the confetti and other materials.  About 120 people showed up for the event.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better promposal,” Lotwin said.  “It was clear that he put so much effort into it, and I loved that it involved the rest of my close friends.”

Slap Shot

“Mass, can’t wait to go to prom with you! Love, Dillon.”

’12 graduate Dillon Nuss-Baum asked senior Jessie Prussick to prom during a game with this message on the big screen.  Although the Caps messed up the name, saying “Mass” instead of “Jess,” Dillon had a backup plan.

“I also took a Caps shirt I had and put “Prom” on the front with duct tape,” Nuss-Baum said.  “Then I snuck it into the game without her knowing.  I attempted to act like I got a free shirt and gave it to her.”

Nuss-Baum only had two days to prepare because he was invited last minute to the game by Prussick.

“I was so shocked,” Prussick said.  “It was such a surprise, and I even felt like it was just in my head.  I didn’t actually see the message on the screen.  I thought it was so thoughtful of him, and I really appreciated it.  I think any girl would be happy with that promposal.”

Balloonza

Senior Peter Jablonski filled a computer lab with 720 balloons as a surprise for senior Erica Roberts who found them after going on a scavenger hunt Jablonski created.

“It was about a week of prep, ranging from gathering up materials to enlisting help and figuring out where to get flowers,” Jablonski said.

His original plan was to attach balloons to the ceiling and scatter them all over the floor but because his 6th period English teacher Eleanor Goodwin moved to a lab, he could only have them scattered on the floor.

“I’ve got a reputation for pulling off the insane and impossible, but even so, there are limits,” Jablonsky said.  “This one worked because it had an air of impossibility but was still very possible and was quite cute.”

When Roberts was about to enter her sixth period, four people jumped out in front of her and told her to go on scavenger hunt.  Eventually, she arrived back in the lab where she found Jablonsky holding a sign with all of her friends’ signatures on it and a bouquet.

“I don’t enjoy being in the spotlight usually, but the promposal was so sweet I completely forgot that everyone was taking pictures and really enjoyed it,” Roberts said.