Jeep Wranglers make appearances in CHS lots

Katy Perry mentions them in her hit California Gurls, they’re seen in countless American movies, and they are a classic beach must-have. No, they’re not Daisy Dukes but Jeep Wranglers.

Jeep Wranglers have seemed to make a comeback in the CHS community.  Many students, teachers and parents have been seen driving around in the military style, box-shaped cars.  The fascination with these vehicles seems to be for a variety of reasons, including the fun that Jeeps often provide. 

“It’s definitely a car with a personality,” English teacher Valerie Mainwaring said of her yellow soft-top Jeep Wrangler.  “It’s really fun.  I feel like it’s an extension of my personality.”
As the weather gets warmer and the days get longer, even more Jeep Wranglers can be seen out on the roads.  For many, Jeeps are the ideal summer car because the top and doors can easily be removed. 

“I love how I can take the top off,” junior Eliza Farha said of her white Jeep Wrangler.  “I am really excited for the summer.”

A Jeep Wrangler offers four-wheel drive and six different speeds. 

According to Mainwaring, this is what makes Jeeps so much fun to drive.  She bought it for its All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) properties, especially the ability to drive on the beach. 
Despite the entertainment one can get from owning a Jeep Wrangler, there are some negative features of the car. 

According to automall.com, a website for comparing and rating cars, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has not provided safety ratings for the 2010 and 2011 Jeep Wrangler.  However, there have been many reports of Jeep Wranglers rolling over. 

“It definitely has its drawbacks, because it can be a dangerous car especially if you are a reckless driver,” Mainwaring said.  “It can be really dangerous, especially for young kids.”
But the negative aspects of Jeep Wranglers have not stopped people from driving them.  There is an entire Wrangler culture that involves bumper stickers and greetings to other Wrangler drivers.

According to both Farha and Mainwaring, every time one passes another Jeep Wrangler on the road, it’s customary to lift two fingers and wave.  It is the standard greeting to fellow Wrangler drivers and is basically the unspoken rule of Jeep driving.

The Jeep Wrangler obsession at CHS seems to be rising as more and more people are investing in a Wrangler. 

“I’ve been obsessed with Wranglers since I was little,” Farha said.  “I love my car.  There’s nothing I don’t like about it.”