Field hockey opens strong despite loss to rival

After nearly an hour of complete endurance and a score of 6-0, the field hockey team reached its seventh goal as the ball slowly rolled into Wheaton’s net in the last couple of tight minutes, sealing a win for the team Aug 31.

Junior Clare Nolan and senior captain Mary Lee Lawrence each scored one goal, while senior captain Jen Shim and freshman Annie Moshyedi scored three and two goals respectively, to reach a final score of 7-0.

“It was a good way to start the season off and were hoping to bring that momentum to the next game,” Shim said.

The Lady Bulldogs also pulled out a dominating win against Einstein Sept. 5.  The team had goals from Shim, junior Jamie Lescht, senior Christina Michaels, and Nolan, who each scored one goal, and junior Catherine Nardi, who scored two goals.  The game ended 10 minutes early due to lightning.

“We played really well,” Shim said.  “We were talking a lot and we just really played as a team.”

Seniors Melanie Maino, Lawrence, Shim and senior captain Alyssa Weiss have the dexterity to lead the team to success.

“I think our team will have a successful season,” Shim said.  “We all have the skill to go far in the season.”

Last season, the Lady Bulldogs were the number one seed in the 4A West Region tournament, but fell short in the regional finals to B-CC, who they faced Sept. 12, losing 0-1.

“I think we played amazing,” Shim said.  “The score does not reflect how we played.  This was by far the best we’ve ever played.  We accomplished every goal we had set for ourselves, and we just learned a lot from this experience.”

Although the team graduated nine seniors, about half of their team, last year, the Bulldogs are making sure they have the right chemistry this year on and off the field.

“I think the team will do really well this year,” Weiss said.  “We have a lot of potential and just have to keep working hard to fulfill it.”

The team faced Quince Orchard on Sept. 20.