Half baked has no regrets on his journey through WCHS

Defense wins championships

By Jack Gans, Social Media Manager

As I reflect on my time in the Churchill Observer, I realize just how much this experience has impacted my life. When I first signed up for the class, I had no idea what to expect. I was simply looking to try something new and off brand for myself. 

I always enjoyed creative writing but never saw myself as a structured writer reporting on current events. I was wary in the beginning considering my limited experience, however, as the school year progressed, I made new friends, learned unique skill sets and collaborated with my peers.

One of the biggest takeaways I had from this experience was the importance of variety. I learned how to step outside of my comfort zone and put myself in many roles throughout my four years in journalism including assistant features editor, photo manager and social media manager.  I learned how to think outside the box, offer constructive criticism and focus on my skill sets, such as photography, to enhance my peers’ work. These are skills that I will carry with me throughout my life and will undoubtedly be useful in future endeavors.

Whether it was brainstorming never been done article ideas, taking unique photos or posting innovative videos or polls to our social media, being part of the newspaper allowed me to express my creativity in ways I never had before. I was also able to tap into a part of myself that I had hoped to explore going into high school. This experience has also given me a deeper understanding of the power journalism has on our society and, in this case, our community.

I have personally never been a structured writer which I originally worried about going into this class, but our newspaper has crossed many creative boundaries and allowed us to write the way we feel and the topics that we want to share.

As I prepare to leave this class and move on to the next chapter of my life, I am filled with gratitude for the experiences and lessons that I have gained. The memories of late nights spent editing articles, the thrill of seeing my work in print and the bonds formed with my classmates will stay with me for years to come.

I leave this class satisfied with the variety of roles I have had over the years whether it held a lesson in creativity, media, friendships or collaboration. 

My only regret for our class was not making observer murmurmur shirts!