Yule love this: Trader Joe’s Seasonal Snacks

Cookie Mug Hangers, Dark Chocolate Stars, Peppermint Cremes, and Mini Peppermint Meringues are some of Trader Joes popular seasonal treats.
Photo courtesy of Trader Joe’s website
Cookie Mug Hangers, Dark Chocolate Stars, Peppermint Cremes, and Mini Peppermint Meringues are some of Trader Joe’s popular seasonal treats.

A new season approaching can only mean one thing: a Trader Joe’s seasonal drop. Flavors of peppermint, chocolate and gingerbread line the shelves of every Trader Joe’s as excitement builds for the holiday season. Stores fill and lines grow longer as people rush to stock their cabinets with the themed goodies, but are all of the offered snacks really worth the hype? Here are ratings for some of Trader Joe’s new seasonal items, so everyone knows which treats should be included in their holiday spreads. 

Mini Peppermint Meringues 6/10

A twist on a classic light and fluffy sweet treat, these TJ mini peppermint meringues hit the spot perfectly. With a nice balance of soft and crunchy and just the right amount of sweetness,this small snack is highly addicting. The airy texture is phenomenal, and compared to a normal meringue, this would be a top tier snack. However, being a seasonal item, a stronger peppermint flavor was expected, but unfortunately did not deliver, as it just tasted like plain meringues, leaving taste buds unsatisfied. 

Peppermint pretzel slims 8/10

Peppermint Pretzel Slims should be at the top of everyone’s wish list for this holiday season. Sprinkled with crunchy hints of peppermint, this delectable snack uses a thin, salty and crunchy pretzel covered in creamy white chocolate, creating a refreshing blend of sweet and salty. However, to some, the thin pretzel base may be too thin, making each bite consist of majority chocolate and a minimal amount of pretzel. Because this combination is usually more of a balanced relationship, for those looking for that kind of classic pretzel to chocolate ratio, this may not be the right choice. Regardless, this Trader Joe’s snack is still a delicious, melt-in-the-mouth, holiday themed treat that many will enjoy this holiday season. 

Mini dark chocolate mint stars 7/10

With their fun size and shape, the mini dark chocolate mint star cookies are an instant attraction.        At first glance, they seem like a twist on the popular Girl Scout cookies, Thin Mints. However, the cookie is way too thin and a little dry, causing the chocolate to overpower the cookie and taste like straight-up dark chocolate. Additionally, the mint flavor is almost nonexistent, taking away from the holiday feel. 

Cookie mug hangers 10/10

Cookie Mug Hangers are the highest scoring item on the list and a must try snack this holiday season. The innovative design of the cookie is just where the excellence starts. A gap is left between the legs of the gingerbread man shaped cookie so that it can fit easily on the brim of a mug to accompany a cold glass of milk or warm hot chocolate. What really levels up the product, however, is the flavor and texture of the spiced cookies. It is a classic, not too overwhelming, warm gingerbread spiced flavor that is crunchy without the risk of breaking a tooth. This coupled with the adorable shape and enjoyable experience of sipping a drink with the cookie makes this snack a tasty thing to munch on this holiday season. 

Peppermint creams 6/10

Peppermint cremes are dark chocolates filled with a minty cream and topped with candy cane pieces. The dark chocolate is the best part of this treat with a bitter, sweet balance and smooth texture. The softness of the chocolate allows one to effortlessly bite into the candy, causing the mint filling to ooze out. Unfortunately, this mint filing is where the snack goes wrong. With a taste comparable to toothpaste, the filling is what makes this dessert off putting to many, as it is completely artificial and ruins the potential that the snack had. With such a delicious chocolate coating, it is really disappointing that it is overpowered by the extreme mint. The crushed peppermint pieces on top would usually be a nice, crunchy addition, but with such strong mint flavors already present, it creates a sensory overload. For die-hard mint lovers this might be the ultimate snack, but for someone looking for a balanced chocolatey, minty treat, this is not the right choice. 

Salty honey toffee milk chocolate covered crackers 9/10

Perfect flavor and textures is the only way to describe the salty honey toffee milk chocolate covered crackers. These crackers contain just the right amount of salty and sweet, combining saltines, salty toffee and sweet milky chocolate. The saltiness from the toffee and cracker balances out the chocolate, making sure that the snack is not overwhelmingly sweet like most chocolate desserts are. The texture of the cracker is also great, with a nice crunch coming from the toffee. Overall, this snack is a must have this holiday season.