Youth groups provide social and religious outlet

Many students at CHS are passionate about their own religious affiliation and choose to express their enthusiasm in different ways. CHS boasts one of the most diverse student populations in the county and among all of the different cultures, some students come together to form specific religious groups.

One of the predominant religions at CHS is Judaism. Many of these Jewish students are members of the B’nai B’rith Youth Organization (BBYO) which is split up into two gender separated groups, B’nai B’rith Girls (BBG) for girls and Aleph Zadik Aleph, (AZA) for guys.

According to bbyo.org, the organization’s main goal is to involve Jewish teens in meaningful Jewish experiences.

This worldwide team movement is popular at CHS, with many members of all ages. Senior Aaron Katz, who is the Programming Vice President of the Einstein AZA Chapter and the Council Treasurer of the D.C. BBYO Council, says the best aspect of being a member is the strong feeling of community.

“We have bonds greater than friendship—brotherhood,” Katz said. “Wherever you go, and you meet someone in BBYO, you automatically feel like you know each other.”

Christian students at CHS also congregate to worship of God in numerous youth groups in which they get together— similar to BBYO—and practice the faith.

Junior Lara Caputo belongs to St. Francis Episcopal Church, and is a member of the youth group there otherwise known as St. Francis Student Ministries.

“We all really like to have fun,” Caputo said. “We try to make the most out of every situation we are in.”

While the youth groups are mostly religiously oriented, the social benefits are also a big part of the experience.

“Every week we have bible study for senior high and junior high,” Caputo said. “But once in a while we will go to movies, play golf and [do] a bunch of other activities.”

For junior Bret Johnson, also a member of the St. Francis Student Ministries, growing religiously and spiritually is one of the biggest advantages of membership.

“I can learn to be a better Christian and a better person and make a better relationship with God,” Johnson said.

Although not associated with a particular student group, junior Amit Kaul actively partakes in his temples philanthropic activities, where he practices Hinduism.
According to Kaul, as a Hindu it is important to help out people in need so that God recognizes the good deeds, and so that they can collect blessing from adults that will help them later in life.

“At my temple, me and a bunch of other kids volunteer and help around the temple,” Kaul said. We tutor, help make and serve food, and give out sandwiches to the homeless once a month.”

For CHS, religious youth groups can not only be beneficial spiritually, but in many personal and social ways as well.

“I grow in my faith and have fun with people that will support me,” Johnson said.