CHS Students Remember 9/11

Today marks the twelfth anniversary of one of the most tragic events our country has experienced.  On this day, 12 years ago, four jet planes were hijacked by terrorists who attacked the New York World Trade Center and the Pentagon, killing 2,977 people. We continue to mourn those who died and remember the brave men and women who risked their own lives to rescue others.

In an effort to keep this tragedy in our thoughts and hearts on this day of commemoration, The Observer has spoken to several CHS students about what they remember from September 11, 2001 and how they continue to honor those whose lives were taken on that day.

How old were you on September 11, 2001 and what were you doing when you heard the news?

Madeline Schupak, freshman: At the time of 9/11/2001, I was two years old.  My family and I stayed home all day in order to keep precaution.

Sara Fink, sophomore: I was three years old.  I was at home watching Barney.

Mackenzie Testa, junior: I was in preschool on 9/11, and was four years old.

Mara Zankman, senior:  On 9/11, I was five years old.  I was at the JCC in Rockville.

What about that day do you remember?

Madeline Schupak: I don’t have any memory of 9/11.  I didn’t ask my parents about what had happened and all I knew was that my pre-school was canceled for the day.

Sara Fink: I remember watching Barney but my sister accidentally flipped to the news channel and we saw what had happened.

Mackenzie Testa: I have a very vague memory of 9/11 because I was so little.  I remember my parents telling me that our country had been attacked.

Mara Zankman: I remember my mom picking me up early from kindergarten.  She told me that planes had hit two buildings in New York.

What was the reaction of people that day and how you do remember feeling?

Madeline Schupak: On the day of 9/11, people were in disbelief and did not know how humans could do something so awful to others.   I personally do not remember having any reaction to the event, since I was a toddler.

Sara Fink: We were scared and confused.  My mom – a very spiritual woman – had each of my family members light a candle and hold it during a moment of silence.  I of course convinced my parents to let me hold a candle and when we opened our eyes after our moment of silence, my hair had caught on fire.

Mackenzie Testa: People that day were absolutely devastated and in shock.  Nobody knew what to expect and what was to come.  I remember feeling terrified.

Mara Zankman: I remember people just being out of it.  No one knew what was going on and everyone was flustered.  It was chaos.

Do you know anyone who was involved in 9/11?

Madeline Schupak:  My pre-school teacher’s husband died at the Pentagon on 9/11.

Sara Fink:  My sister’s soccer coach had been in the Pentagon at the time.  He was very lucky to have survived.

Mackenzie Testa: Yes, Mrs. Scionti, the head of the drama department here at Churchill, was in the second tower on 9/11.

Mara Zankman: My uncle was in the North Tower and died on that day.  We had to go to New York to help console my aunt.

What have you done in the years since to honor the people who died on that day?

Madeline Schupak: Every year on 9/11, my family and I take the day to remember and observe the tragedies by recalling what had happened that day, and mourning the loss of so many innocent beings.

Sara Fink: Every year (with my hair tied back) we light candles in memory of those who’s lives were taken from them.

Mackenzie Testa: In years since, I have watched many documentaries on the day, and informed myself on the things I was too young to understand at the time.  I also spend a portion of the day praying and remembering those who we lost on that day.

Mara Zankman: When the anniversary comes around, my family and aunt and cousins all put pictures up of my uncle to remember him.

How do you feel about the way we honor these people in school? Do you wish that we did more?

Madeline Schupak: At school, we take a moment of silence to remember those who had passed on 9/11.  I wish that we had a day filled with education about 9/11.  Since many of us were so young in 2001, I think it would be terrific if we were able to learn about that tragic day, in order to prevent it from reoccurring.

Sara Fink: I don’t think that we could do enough to those who passed, but based on the circumstance and that fact that many people don’t take it seriously, I think we do just fine.

Mackenzie Testa: I feel we do a good job of remembering those who died that day, but of course we could do more such as take a moment of silence before every period.

Mara Zankman: I think the moment of silence is something that really shows how people can come together in a memory that caused so much chaos and distress.  I think we do a lot in school with the remembrance of 9/11.  I don’t think we could do much more than really appreciate our lives and the lives of the people that died.

Do you have another others thoughts about 9/11?

Madeline Schupak: 9/11/2001 was such a catastrophic day in history, and we all need to do our part to make sure it never happens again, and to remember those who lost their lives to the disaster.

Mackenzie Testa: 9/11 was a day that will remain a scar on every American’s heart forever.  We should never forget the innocent people just like us who took their lives for us on that horrific day.