WCHS’ new bocce team brings great success and experiences

Photo courtesy of Matthew Glassman
The WCHS Bocce team celebrates their victory at the state championship on February 15, 2023.

The WCHS Bocce team rejoiced after their December 13 victory against BCC. Immediately after the game, they celebrated their 2023 state title, mounting their banner on the wall of the gym.

Bocce is a relatively new sport at WCHS, with the team’s first season being in 2013. The objective is to roll your team’s bocce balls closer to the pallino–the smaller target ball–than the other team’s bocce balls.

While the team is new, they have been incredibly successful thus far. Last season, they won the first bocce division and state titles in WCHS history.

“Last season overall went very well,” WCHS senior Matthew Glassman said. “We went undefeated the entire regular season. We lost in the county championship, but made up for it at states.”

The bocce team is described by MCPS Athletics as being “designed for students with and without disabilities who are interested in playing sports but do not have a desire to play at a highly competitive level.” The goal of the bocce team is to be inclusive, which is certainly reflected by the culture.

“I love the environment of the team,” WCHS senior Cooper Sunshine said. “We all get along, support each other, and have fun all at the same time.”

The sport is not intended to be high pressure, but naturally a state championship can create some. The close-knit nature of the team, however, helps easethe tension.

The hardest part of the season was the championship because it was tournament style; we had to play multiple games all in one day,” Glassman said. “I wasn’t that nervous about the game though. It was just a fun experience to be there with my teammates and it made it even better that we won it.”

The chemistry between the team members and their dedication to the sport is what makes the team so great. With all of the hard work that they put into their success, they are sure to claim more titles in the future.

“I see our team winning another championship soon,” Sunshine said. “All it takes is practice, focus, and teamwork.”

Overall, the bocce team represents the values that WCHS strives to reflect. Hard work, dedication, community and inclusivity are all hallmarks of this team. The team is enticing not only because of its impressive record, but also the people behind it.

“I really enjoy Bocce because it’s all about consistency and practice,” Sunshine said. “I would 100% encourage more people to play as the game is for everyone.”