Community fondly remembers sophomore

CHS students and fellow community members gathered in the gym May 21 to remember sophomore Evan Rosenstock who passed away Monday.

CHS families learned of his death through social media sites Facebook and Twitter in addition to a phone message sent out Tuesday morning by Principal Joan Benz.

“He was such as good friend to me, always positive, and said everything he could to make me feel better,” sophomore Rachel Thal-Larsen said.  “He will truly be missed.”

Rosenstock played on the varsity basketball team his sophomore year, and many of the basketball players are honoring his life.

“He was a great person overall,” sophomore Bobby Arthur-Williams said.  “Next year we’re going to win the state championship for him.”

According to fellow teammate and sophomore Calvin Kamara, it will be difficult to get past the loss.

“His personality was amazing, and when I heard that he died, I was in such shock,” Kamara said. “[He] and his family [are] some of the nicest people I know.  I love you, man, and I’ll always remember that you were a great friend to me.”

CHS teachers are also grieving over Rosenstock’s death.

“I think what I will remember most is his infectious grin and even more contagious kindness,” Class of 2015 sponsor Christin Nixon said. “The impact he made on the school and the community was significant, and he will be remembered affectionately.”

A funeral service will be held for Rosenstock May 23 at 10:30 a.m. at Har Shalom Congregation on Falls Road in Potomac.