Fundraising efforts make sign a reality

After four years of planning and fundraising, a digital sign is set to replace the current brick one at the corner of Tuckerman Lane and Gainsborough Road by the end of May.

The digital sign will promote upcoming events as well as create a stronger visual appeal for the community.

“Changing the message on the current sign is not efficient, and the message becomes old,” said Michael Fisher, co-chair of the Character Education Committee. “Our messages will be more in number and up to date.”

The sign will display the accomplishments of students, teachers and sports teams and will also inform the community of upcoming productions, events and announcements.

According to a press release by the Character Education Sub-Committee of the PTSA, the funds for the sign have come from the classes of 2009 and 2011, the PTSA, the Booster Club and the Music Department.

“All of the funds were raised independent of the school,” Fisher said.

The sign was supposed to be installed earlier this semester, but because of delays the sign was not able to be put in place on schedule.

“We did not want to proceed until we had support from all of the various stakeholders and the community,” Fisher said. “We had to work with several utility companies, different governmental departments and through the MCPS process for all the necessary approvals.”

A local nursery has volunteered to donate landscaping for the land surrounding the sign.

Many other schools in the area have made the transition to digital signs including Wootton, Walter Johnson and Richard Montgomery.

The sign will include colorful engraved tiles created by the Instrumental and Choral Departments as well as the class of 2011. These tiles are contributions from the CHS community and symbolize their connection to the school.