Ugandan newspaper calls for hanging of homosexuals

In a country where 64 percent of the population wants the Bible to be the law of the land, and where 80 percent of Christians believe homosexuality is immoral, Uganda’s independent newspaper, Rolling Stone, published an “exposé” in early October, outing closeted homosexuals by printing their pictures and addresses and calling for their hanging. The publication has ignited a wildfire of controversy, as some groups call for capital punishment for homosexuals and human rights groups fight back.
 The Ugandan Supreme Court banned further publications that expose personal information of alleged homosexuals Nov. 2, arguing that it violates their right to privacy as denoted in the country’s constitution.
 According to a Nov. 2 Washington Post article, at least four gay men featured in Rolling Stone’s article have been attacked, and one lesbian couple was forced to leave their home because a violent mob threw rocks at them.
Homosexuality in Uganda is illegal; anyone found guilty of homosexuality can serve up to 14 years in prison.  However, some legislators, such as Ugandan Parliament member David Bahati, seek to increase the punishment by making it a capital offense. 
Despite his efforts, the bill has stalled in the legislature because groups that donate foreign aid to Uganda have made strong statements condemning it.
According to a Feb. 4 Reuters.com article, secretary of state Hillary Clinton called Uganda’s president, Yoweri Museveni, to express “[her] strongest concerns” about the proposed legislation. 
In the same article, the United Nations high commissioner for human rights, Navi Pillay, said the bill “would breach international standards and it proposes draconian punishments for people alleged to be LGBT.” 
The publication and the proposed legislation has caused an outrage in the international LGBT community.
“I know for a fact it’s getting them angered, upset and organized,” Gay Straight Alliance sponsor Arthur Bescher said.  “This issue is getting the attention of the outside community, which is a good thing.”