Educational Foundation issues grants for student projects

This year, the CHS Educational Foundation is continuing its efforts to provide financial support for student- and teacher-run educational activities through its Challenge Grant.

“[The Challenge Grant] is a grant of an amount of money to a group of students who propose an educationally enriching project [but lack appropriate] funding for it,” Julian Debenedetti, the Educational Foundation’s senior class representative, said. 

In order to fund Challenge Grants and other programs, the foundation plans to raise money by organizing local fundraising events.  It has most recently arranged for the political satire group The Capitol Steps to perform Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.  Tickets for the event are available on the CHS website or by mail.

“[The foundation] brought the same group to CHS two years ago, and it was a fantastic show and a success, so we are hoping for a similar result this year,” Debenedetti said.

The Educational Foundation has experienced trouble involving students in previous years, something Debenedetti hopes to avoid with the Challenge Grant.  This year, the foundation is making aggressive attempts to broadcast its presence to students and teachers.

According to Debenedetti, the foundation is going to take advantage of the daily announcements and other outlets to promote itself around the school.

The foundation has a 14-member Board of Directors, including three student representatives from the sophomore, junior and senior classes who bridge the gap between the foundation and the student body, allowing the foundation to better understand the needs of the school.  The rest of the board members consist of parents, alumni and administrators, including principal Joan Benz and foundation chairperson Luana Zimmerman.

“CHS has a sterling reputation as an academically rigorous school, [and] I think any organization that seeks to continually better our academic community by supporting the students and teachers in our school is a worthwhile and praiseworthy organization to be involved in,” Debenedetti said.