Tennis finishes regular season at impressive 8-1

After a long season, the boys tennis team headed into spring break with an impressive 8-1 record. The young team has proven its mental and physical capabilities despite facing more experienced competition.

The team’s lone defeat was a 6-1 loss against Wootton, April 4.  Senior team captain Nick Bakos said that the highlight of the season was April 7 when the Bulldogs overcame Whitman, a tough competitor.

“Whitman was a lot closer and mentally tough,” Bakos said.  “The match was tied at 3 all, but our number three singles player was able to get the final win to give us the 4-3 win.”

This year, the team has featured stand out players like junior Sebastian Zamorano as well as sophomore Christopher Gauch, who have both dominated the doubles arena. Meanwhile, senior singles player Kevin Chu has stepped up to show the younger boys how to play.

“It is his last year and he has really worked hard to get the team in shape and mature the underclassmen,” Bakos said. 

According to Gauch, freshman William Szamosszegi has also proven his strength as a player by winning a 6-3 set against Whitman.

As the team begins to wrap up the 2011 season and continues moving forward, it is in a hardplace, as it will lose Bakos and Chu, who support the team with both wins and moral support. 

“Bakos is great to talk to if you are having trouble with a certain shot and need help,” Gauch said.  “He has pushed us to do our very best.”

The team has worked together to form a bond that will hopefully ensure it no more setbacks.  It is learning to overcome the mental pressures of the game and is focusing on the little details that will help them clinch more wins.

“We are focusing on our strategy and making sure to support our teammates when they play,” Zamorano said.

The team continued its winning streak during its last couple of games at Blair, 7-0, April 12, Einstein, 6-1, April 29 and Poolesville, 6-1, April 28.

The team hopes to continue this streak through counties, which began May 5.