The dirt on mulch

By Lauren Roseman, Business Manager

Nobody understands the saying “April showers bring May flowers” better than the students involved with the annual mulch sale fundraiser.  Although some students feel that selling mulch is too exhausting, the hard work of selling and delivering the mulch helps those May flowers bloom and pays off, literally, in the end.

According to Class of 2015 sponsor Christin Nixon, the class sponsors are responsible for organizing vendors, delivery trucks and forklifts, volunteer sheets and delivery routes, as well as collecting money.
Still, Nixon wholeheartedly dedicates this time because the considerable amount of money raised helps the senior class fundraise for upcoming end-of-the-year events.

The students, hailing from all grades but primarily from the junior and senior classes, are in charge of the time-consuming tasks of selling the mulch, finding volunteers, and getting the forklift certified.  The final task of delivering the mulch takes place over one weekend.

The stress of working hard for this one fundraiser pays off, though.  The fundraiser brings in about $20,000 to $30,000 annually, which goes to the senior class to help pay for events like Prom, Senior Banquet and Graduation.

In addition, the fundraiser creates a sense of school unity because all classes band together to raise the money.  Many students choose to volunteer the extra hours because of the memories they make, according to volunteer and senior Raz Moayed.

At a first glance, many fundraisers look like hard work for little reward.  However, if students work hard for one fundraiser, they can make enough money to save them from planning any other ones, and make new memories along the way.