Welcome home: Harry Styles gets personal

Harrys+House+was+released+May+20.+It+is+complete+with+13+tracks+including+two+songs+that+were+performed+at+Coachella+in+April.+

PHOTO COURTESY OF @HSHQ ON INSTAGRAM

“Harry’s House” was released May 20. It is complete with 13 tracks including two songs that were performed at Coachella in April.

By Jordan Pashkoff, Editor-in-Chief

Welcome to “Harry’s House.” Come in, sit down, relax and enjoy. The third album by pop sensation Harry Styles, released on May 20, invites fans to enjoy 13 songs. With themes of home, happiness, love and belonging, “Harry’s House” gives an intimate and almost friendly look into the life and mind of America’s biggest heartthrob. 

The first (and only) single released was track four, “As It Was.” It was the perfect way to start off this new Harry era. With its distinct synth-pop sound, which differs greatly from the feel of Style’s sophomore album “Fine Line,” there is no doubt that Harry Styles can create different styles of music while staying true to what makes his music special – his incredible lyricism. Specifically, the lyrics in “As It Was” express sentimentality about loneliness but are backed up by an upbeat and energetic accompaniment, making the song feel happier than it is. 

The second time songs were heard of “Harry’s House” prior to the release was during Styles’ Coachella performance. Styles performed “Boyfriends” and “Late Night Talking,” tracks 12 and two of “Harry’s House” as well as “As It Was.” “Boyfriends” discusses the poor treatment of partners in relationships by boyfriends. Interestingly, the song starts off with lyrics that sound like Styles’ decided to string together random sounds, but it is actually the lyrics “Fool, you’re back at it again” in reverse. “Late Night Talking” is by far the catchiest song off the album as Styles sings about his desire to do anything to make his partner happy. 

Now, let’s talk about the rest of the album. Track one, “Music For a Sushi Restaurant” is a strong and fun way to start off the album with its funky and electric beat. With frequent references to food, like, “green eyes, fried rice, I could cook an egg on you”, fans of Styles love to spot on each of his albums so it is sure to be a fan favorite. If he was trying to choose the best song to begin this new era, he definitely chose right. 

“Grapejuice” is the third track and stays consistent with the first two songs with its cheery sound, but the lyrics are much more profound. With references to drinking different wines to cope with life, Styles announces his adoration for his partner and the need for them in his life. Deeper topics paired with lighter music are a common occurrence in “Harry’s House” and the actual point of some songs goes unnoticed as it is masked by the beat. 

Track five, “Daylight” perfectly encapsulates the feelings during a long-distance relationship. The loneliness of wanting to be with that certain someone is balanced out by the happy vibe of the music. The pre-chorus, “If I was a bluebird, I would fly to you. You’d be the spoon, dip you in honey so I could be sticking to you” takes a very lighthearted approach to these feelings and makes this song relatable and easy to listen to.

His ability to illustrate his personal experiences and stories through lyricism and imagery is truly captivating, especially in his sixth track, “Little Freak.” Styles reminisces on an old relationship and why it ended, bringing a somber mood. The realization of not wanting an old partner back, but reflecting on that person, in general, is a nice change of pace from the more upbeat songs. 

Track seven “Matilda” can be described as nothing but gut-wrenchingly beautiful. With the title being inspired by the Ronald Dahl novel of the same name, “Matilda” tells the story of a friend who has become accustomed to the abuse and treatment they have faced at the hands of their family. Unlike some of the other songs on this album, “Matilda” is more stripped down musically. It features an acoustic guitar, so the sincere lyrics like “you don’t have to be sorry for leavin’ and growin’ up” are truly the focal point. 

After a few heavier songs, Styles revamps the bright and cheerful ambiance of “Harry’s House” with tracks eight, nine and 10. “Cinema” captures the feeling of being entirely smitten with someone. Next is “Daydreaming,” a song that gets the audience to do just that. Listeners are swept up into a sunshine-filled daydream of the complete love and devotion of a partner. The next song, “Keep Driving” slows down the pace but does not get rid of the feelings of pure love and affection. 

“Satellite,” the 12th song, is about wanting to be there for someone when they won’t let you. The use of a satellite is used to represent how just like a satellite orbits planets, he is watching this person from a distance unable to help. On the album’s closing track “Love of My Life” realizes his profound love for someone whom he has already lost. It paints a perfect picture of how he is going through memories and to the places and realizing it is not the same without the person he adores most in the world.