Students enjoy classic, new Halloween movies

‘Tis the season full of candy corn, pumpkins and plenty of scares. In honor of Halloween,

the Observer took a look at CHS students’ favorite movies to watch on Oct. 31.

Many students enjoy the Halloweentown tetralogy, a series of Disney Channel TV movies.

“I like to watch the Halloweentown marathons,” sophomore Kayla Mazer said.

Another popular choice is Twitches, starring twins Tia and Tamara Mowry (Sister, Sister).

“I like that Twitches is scary, but not too scary,” freshman Lindsey Levy said.

Movies by Tim Burton, such as Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas, are big favorites as well.

“Watching Corpse Bride gets me in the spirit of Halloween,” senior Jamie Bonan said.

Some students prefer scarier horror movies, such as Psycho and Boogeyman, over the friendlier Halloween flicks.

According to junior Paulina Braves, she enjoys the death and gore featured in Friday the 13th.

With the remake of classic horror movie Carrie, horror movie fanatics will also get to see the infamous scene of a teenage girl at prom, dripping with pig’s blood, return to the big screen.

Carrie

hits theaters Oct. 18 and follows the same storyline as the 1976 version—Carrie White, an outcast with an extremely religious mother, wreaks havoc on her town using telekinetic powers after a prank on prom night goes too far. The new version showcases a fresh new cast starring Chlo

ë Grace Mortez (Dark Shadows) as Carrie, Julianne Moore (Crazy, Stupid Love) as Carrie’s mom and Ansel Elgort (Divergent) as her prom date, Tommy Ross.

“I think the new version looks intensified,” senior Alexis Tanenbaum said.

While many students are excited, some fear the remake will not live up to its preceder. Without the ‘70s charm and original actors John Travolta and Sissy Spacek, Carrie may lose some of its appeal.

However, in the 37 years since the original release, technology, fashion trends and daily life have changed dramatically. The remake has the opportunity to make Carrie more relatable to today’s teens.