Tyler, The Creator reveals sensitive side in ‘Wolf’

Constantly being in the limelight, celebrities and other public figures must build a tough exterior in order to endure the inevitable criticism. This exterior, however, can become difficult to penetrate, leaving fans feeling disappointed and public icons feeling bitter.

Tyler, the Creator, Odd Future ringleader, callously unveils his interior on his sophomore album Wolf released April 1. Full of his usual vulgarity and bluntness, Wolf leaves fans disgusted in the best way.

While generously dropping F-bombs in almost every track, each song expresses one of Tyler’s multiple traits, both musically and personally. “Cowboy” and “Awkward” delineate Tyler’s down-to-earth quality; on “Cowboy” he talks about how he yearns to do normal things like skateboard and hang with his friends, whereas on “Awkward” he talks about first dates.

While the preceeding songs display Tyler’s lighter side, he pulls the curtain to reveal the dark, isolated states of mind that he experiences due to the outcome of past events.

In “Answer,” Tyler conveys his frustration for his father’s abandonment saying “Dad isn’t your name, see fa***t’s a little more fitting.” Another darker tune is “Lone” where he describes his thoughts surrounding his grandmother’s death, who played a major part in raising him.

Even though there are a few serious tracks, Tyler skillfully manages to leave audiences giggling with his sarcastic digs at critics who say that he is “a racist homophobic.”

Also, when discussing his personal issues, instead of simply purging his emotions Tyler uses jokes as a mechanism to maintain his tough exterior, a method that many people share with him.

Even though Wolf is strong overall, the pacing of the album itself is questionable. Tyler placed “Domo 23,” a more energetic track, right before “Answer,” a somber, slower track; the inharmonious transition prevents listeners from relating to the latter.

Also, some of the tracks sound poorly cut and produced; for example in “PartyIsntOver/Campfire/Bimmer,”Tyler combines three songs into one, where the pauses in between only emphasize the song’s lack of fluidity.

However, most of the tracks on Wolf are worth purchasing, displaying Tyler’s adroitness in producing high quality tracks, delivering heinous yet poetic lyrics, and offending listeners unapologetically.