The ‘Observer’ brings you the best holiday songs

What is a holiday season without Christmas music? Of course listeners have the classic songs, but every year contemporary bands also put out music just for the holidays. The Observer brings you a list of 10 classic and not-so-classic holiday songs from over the years. Get some hot cocoa, curl up next to a warm, crackling fire and listen to these tunes.

“Winter Wonderland” (1934), Richard Himber

This song has been covered over and over by artists throughout the past 78 years. It doesn’t matter if you prefer Sinatra or Selena; this song is the perfect soundtrack to a snowy winter night.

“I Feel it in My Bones” (2012), The Killers

This track is the seventh consecutive Christmas single released by The Killers. It offers a more alternative sound than traditional holiday music. The song takes on a much more Halloween vibe than Christmas, which can be a welcome change from the constant sound of jingle bells this time of year.

“Jingle Bell Rock” (1957), Bobby Helms

This song is perhaps one of the most infamous, upbeat and cheery Christmas songs to ever be composed. It’s been featured in various movies, but most CHS students would remember it from Mean Girls, when the “Plastics” perform the song in skimpy outfits for their winter talent show, and Lindsay Lohan saves the day by proving she can kind of sing the hit holiday song.

“Yule Shoot Your Eye Out” (2003), Fall Out Boy

Released originally for a charity punk rock Christmas compilation in the early 2000s, this song showed up again on Fall Out Boy’s 2009 compilation album Believers Never Die. The song takes a more negative take on the holiday season, using phrases such as “Merry Christmas, I could care less.” The track borrows classic Christmas themes such as the sound of jingle bells and the lyrics from “The Twelve Days of Christmas.” Fans of the pop punk genre may be more inclined to listen to this song over “Santa Baby.”

“Wish List” (2010), Neon Trees

This contemporary pop song embodies the unique sound of Neon Trees found in today’s popular single “Everybody Talks.” This band has been pretty steady with its style of music, and its Christmas song is very catchy. A listener might even find themselves listening to it during the non-winter months.

“Last Christmas” (1984), Wham!

This ‘80s classic has become a staple of romantic Christmas songs. Though covered by countless artists such as Taylor Swift and the Glee cast, this song has managed to hold its own for the past two-and-a-half decades, and will probably continue to do so.

“White Christmas” (1942), Bing Crosby

This song is slower and has a more leisurely tune. It’s the kind of song that would perfectly accompany the smell of burning firewood and the sound of softly falling snow outside of one’s window. As the best selling single of all time, this song definitely deserves at least one listen this holiday season.

“Winter Passing” (2008), The Academy Is…

This is another winter song that leans more towards the alternative genre. Though the band is long gone, this track will be around for a at least a few more years. It doesn’t center around the theme of Christmas or jingle bells; it is a welcome break from traditional celebratory song, without being as outlandish as the abovementioned Killers single.

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” (1994), Mariah Carey

Carey doesn’t want a lot for Christmas, but you might want to buy this song for the holidays. It’s an upbeat song that’s a Christmas staple and can be the perfect soundtrack to decorating a Christmas tree or drinking eggnog with your family.

“Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town” (1981), Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Though not the original version, the Boss’ cover might be the most famous.  This is the last song on the our holiday playlist, and it could certainly be one of the best. This classic deserves at least one play on Christmas Eve, while Santa is busy checking his list and preparing for the big day ahead.

Happy holidays from the Observer!