May I go to the bathroom without the third degree?

I am pissed off. I have been asked the question “Is it an emergency?” one too many times, and to be honest, I am sick of it. If I have to go to the bathroom, I have to go to the bathroom. I am not even going to pretend that I am sorry when I have to go to the bathroom during class, because I shouldn’t be.

I’m confused, CHS. I am finding myself denied my God-given right to take a bathroom break quite often, and I do not know why. I have found that there are several annoying questions a teacher may respond with when students ask if they can use the bathroom, most commonly:

1. “Is it an emergency?”

: There are two responses I can give to this question. Yes and no. If the answer is yes, chances are I tried to be respectful by waiting to see if my need to use the bathroom would suddenly go away. Based on experience, I have found this method does not work, because the need to use the bathroom does not just go away. The other answer is no. No, right at this moment it might not be an emergency, but in two minutes it will be, so either way, I need to go. Just sign the pass.

2. “Why didn’t you go before class?”

: The answer is simple. I did not go to the bathroom before class because I did not have to go then. If I had to go, I would have gone. I am not quite sure waht answer the teachers are looking for when they ask this question because my response will not stop me from needing to go. Another reason I did not go is because with only five minutes to get to my next class, I do not have time. CHS has over 2,000 students, and the bathrooms are jammed between classes. I would stop at the bathroom in thsoe five minutes if I was not afraid of losing credit from being continually late to my next class. 

3. “You just ate lunch, why didn’t you go then?”

: I drank my water bottle during lunch, so naturally, I would need to go to the bathroom a certain time period after that. 

Don’t get me wrong, not all teachers do this. I understand that some students may abuse the hall pass, but that is their problem. They are choosing to miss out on information being taught while they are gone. I should not be penalized because a few students use the bathroom like it is the go-to place when they are bored in class.

Also teachers, you get two free periods in which you can use the bathroom, and we do not. Imagine if you had to ask your department head every time you had to use the bathroom. You should be able to relate because you know how it feels when you are teaching and can’t use the bathroom. I am not insulting you; I am just simply explaining my constant use of the lavatory in hopes that I and other students will not have to suffer annoying questions anymore.