GOAT! WCHS sports celebrate a phenomenal year

PHOTO COURTESY OF JOSH WONG

The WCHS Varsity Hockey team poses with their trophy after winning their 10th state championship title

By Sneha David, Assitant Online Editor

While Churchill prides itself on its successful students and strong academics, many of WCHS’ sports teams excelled this year. Because of the hard work athletes put in, many of WCHS’ sports teams went to states, some even winning it all.

The girls varsity field hockey team, after beating Whitman in the state semi-finals, advanced to the 4A state championship game, the team’s first time since 1983. WCHS senior and field hockey goalie Courtney Cormier had 3 saves, but the team unfortunately lost with the final score 2-0.

“Our state finals game was against Severna Park, an extremely competitive team who has won many state titles. Even though they were very good and we were definitely the underdogs, we kept fighting until the last second,” sophomore center back Emma Datch said.

Even with the loss, it brought the team together and was a learning experience that helped them grow. The team had to constantly challenge themselves and set new goals to get all the way to the point where they did. 

“This year the team was more connected and determined to win than ever. We made so much progress throughout the season and it was so rewarding to see our hard work pay off,” senior team captain Lizzie Baggett said.

While the team was very successful, hard work and effort helped guide them on their journey to states. They had to face many challenges, the main being playing against Whitman during semi-finals, a team that they had previously lost to.

“Leading up to states, we had only lost one game for the entire season, against Whitman,” Datch said. “However, we used that game as motivation to not take any game for granted and ended up getting redemption and beating Whitman in the semi-finals to get to states!”

The WCHS Varsity Hockey team went after their 10th Maryland Student Hockey League title in March against Oakdale high school. After being down two goals in the third period, senior team captain Jack Pogorelc scored to bring the team back within one. Then, in the last 20 seconds of the game, sophomore Samuel Strand scored an electrifying game tying goal which evened the score at two a piece and forced overtime. The game resulted in a double overtime where senior Ngari Murira scored the final and winning goal, and the game ended with a final score of 3-2.

“I think in the beginning we got in our heads. After Pogorelc’s goal we had the momentum for the rest of the game,” sophomore Matthew Kim said. “As an individual, [states] helped me learn how important each player is on the team.”

In order to get to the place that they got to, the team had to have confidence in themselves and their teammates while still giving it their all. They had a good playoff season but still worked as hard as they could to get to states.

“After a close overtime win in the second round, our team had mixed feelings about how deep our playoff run could be,” WCHS sophomore Josh Wong said. “However, after winning the quarter and semifinal games by a large margin, we were able to gain some confidence heading into the finals.”

The WCHS boys varsity basketball team advanced to the 4A Maryland State Championships where they played defending state champs, Roosevelt High school at the Xfinity Center. Prior to states, the team had only lost one game. The championship game resulted in double overtime; WCHS sadly lost with the final score 52 to 49. “Going states was a testament to our work ethic and showing ourselves we could make it there. It affected our team in a way that leaves a chip on our shoulder for next season to go back and win it,” WCHS junior Ezekiel Avit said. 

The team had a successful season leading up to states. But, like all teams they had their struggles. While they beat BCC during their first game against them, they lost their second matchup. However, they ended up playing BCC for a third time in the playoffs and redeemed themselves.

“The games leading up to state were like a blur. We were beating every single team with ease,” WCHS sophomore David Avit said. “The BCC game was the most memorable because we beat them the first time and coming back home and losing to them was bad. But, we did end up bouncing back again and beating them at home for the third game.”

The team believed that they could make it far and they did everything they could to get to states. They put in a lot of hard work and effort and worked together to be the best they could be.

“With an amazing head coach and coaching staff in general, we worked hard and as a family. We wanted to be at states and win states more than anybody else,” WCHS sophomore Melchizedek Jonah said. “From early mornings to late night practices we put our all into basketball. We did this till we felt sore, we definitely knew we were making it.”