Athlete of the Month: Julia Reicin

When CHS sophomore Julia Reicin was 2, she began to take swimming classes. A year later, she took up soccer, and by the time she was 7, she was playing both sports competitively. It was not until middle school, however, that her running career began. Her undeniable speed on the soccer field added to her swimming endurance could be combined into one sport—a perfect storm.

“The first time I saw Julia run, I was impressed,” cross country head coach Paul Jacobson said. “She makes it look easy.”

In her freshman year alone, Reicin tore up the cross country course, running a personal best 19:17 for 5k, and placing 8th in the county, 7th in the region and 13th in the state. She was nominated second team All-Gazette for the 2013 cross country season.

“I was extremely happy with my overall performance as a freshman,” Reicin said. “Thanks to the help of my coaches and teammates, over the course of the season, I dramatically improved my times.”

Although a farily independent sport, cross country’s distinctive camaraderie is what Julia attributes much of her success to. The opportunity to train with friends and hear the cheers of an entire team during a lonely race is what keeps her going through those long miles.

“For me, cross country is a team sport,” Reicin said. “ I love the team atmosphere, and everyone is so supportive of each other. We push each other to do our best.”

The cross country spirit, however, is not the only thing that drives Julia to success. As a runner, Julia is known by her teammates as being focused and committed to her training.

“Running with someone who is my age and so fast is extremely motivating,” sophomore runner Becca Clem said. “I admire her determination to succeed even when she is hurt, injured, or has a bad day.”

Not only does she run, but Julia also swims competitively, and was a member of the CHS swim and dive team for the 2013-2014 season. In the Metropolitan Swim and Dive Championship at the end of the season, Julia finished 7th in the 50 free and 12th in the 100 free, helping the girls team to win the 2014 Metros title.

In the spring, she ran for the CHS track and field team, placing second in the county for the 800 meter race, earning her an All-Gazette honorable mention.

“Julia is very disciplined, self-motivated and drives herself hard,” Julia’s mother Jodi Reicin said.

In the 2014 cross country season, Julia has already been named a Team Maryland runner by Run Washington, meaning she is one of the top seven girl cross country runners in the state.

Coming off of division wins for the boys and girls sides, Julia hopes that the postseason will continue to be successful for both teams.

“There are a lot of good seniors this year, but she will still definitely be one of the top runners in the state,” Jacobson said.

According to Jacobson, Julia is unique in her quiet leadership, setting an example of a runner who stays positive and never complains.

According to her mother, she is a tough mental and physical competitor, striving for her own personal feeling of accomplishment after every race. Runners around the county know Julia for her trademark kick of speed at the end of the race.

“Through the years, Julia has had many wins and many losses, but I love her commitment and willingness to work hard to improve,” Jodi Reicin said. “And of course, I love to see her smile brighten her face when she has run a race that she is proud of.”