Keeping score: A look back at CHS track record holders

Anybody who frequently visits the CHS track knows that every year, runners leave behind impressive legacies. On a tall brick wall next to the concession stand hangs the list of track and field record holders, a roll call of names that have managed to withstand the test of time. But what has happened to those who hold the honor of having their name on the board? The Observer investigates the current whereabouts of track and fields’ legends, and the effect that breaking the record had on their lives.

Katie Wolf

In terms of records broken, 2010 graduate Katie Wolf could be considered the most successful female runner in CHS history. During her time as a Bulldog, Wolf broke six different school records for track and field in both dashes and relays.

After graduation from CHS, Wolf was recruited by Penn State on a track and field scholarship, but struggled with injuries and soon left the team to focus on her academics. After seven semesters at Penn, Wolf chose to graduate in December 2013, a semester early.

“At the end of the year, the coaches told me I focused too much on school and not enough on track,” Wolf said. “I went on to graduate as valedictorian of my college, so maybe they were right.”

According to Wolf, the record that she is most proud of is the 400 meter dash, which she broke as a senior with a time of 55.98 seconds.

“I broke the record during my last high school meet ever at states,” Wolf said. “The coach, Dave Warren, once told us that the previous record would never be broken. It was nice to prove him wrong.”

katie wolf track records

Brian Holloway

Class of ’77 alumnus Brian Holloway was a star on the Bulldogs’ football team, earning a full ride to Stanford University and later playing for the NFL from 1981 to 1988 where he was a three-time Pro-Bowler and AFC Champion.

While Holloway might be better remembered for his football accomplishments, he also starred on the CHS throwing fields, where he broke the records for shotput and discuss as a senior.

“I sprinted up and down more hills, ran more steps,

lifted more weights and really lived a very committed life as an athlete,” Holloway said. “There was a total commitment and sacrifice that was at a very different level back then. I’m not so sure today’s high school athletes even understand this level of total commitment, passion and intensity.”

According to Holloway, the seemingly different sports of football and throwing share one important aspect that is vital to success: the importance of a good coach.

“Great coaching makes a big difference,” Holloway said. “It multiplies the intensity, passion and unwavering commitment to be the best. This drive was equally present in the shot put, discus and football. Although I far exceeded most expectations, including my own in the NFL, track was my first love. I had dreams of going to the Olympics and was even training with Olympic Champions while at Stanford.”

Along with brother Jon Holloway, who holds the records for the men’s 100 and 200-meter dashes, Brian has managed to become a part of Bulldog legend.

“The great ones always trained hard, focused completely and did whatever it took to achieve excellence and personal athletic mastery,” Holloway said. “That’s what it meant to be a Bulldog.”

brian hollowat track records

Will Conway

Class of ‘12 alumnus Will Conway’s record-breaking 1600-meter run might be the most notable to current CHS students, many of whom know Conway personally.

As the most recent addition to CHS track and field’s record board, Conway still clearly remembers the night he smashed the 1600-meter record with a time of 4 minutes and 16.10 seconds.

“It was awesome,” Conway said. “We hyped up the meet and titled it Friday Night Spikes. I thought it sounded really cool. During the race we had a ton of fans that normally would never have come to a track meet and being able to perform in front of them and not let them down was a great feeling.”

After graduation from CHS, Conway was recruited to Brown University and currently runs cross-country, indoor track and outdoor track for the Brown Bears.

“The whole feel of the program is different,” Conway said. “At CHS, I ran purely because it was fun and I really loved spending time with my teammates and my coaches. Now, my coach’s job depends on his athletes performing at a certain level. There’s always pressure to be your best—which I think is a good thing—but it’s not for everyone.”

According to Conway, while he is proud of his accomplishments as a Bulldog, he accepts that one day the record could no longer be his.

“It feels good for now but you know that records were made to be broken,” Conway said. “There’s always someone faster coming behind you.”

will conway track records

Jon Holloway

As the record holder for both the men’s 100 and 200-meter dashes, class of 1985 graduate Jon Holloway is more than equal to his brother Brian in Bulldog track excellence.

Holloway’s extracurricular pursuits during his time at CHS were varied. He was a member of the football and track and field teams in addition to show choir and jazz ensemble.

“To be honest, I am as stunned as anyone else that those records are still in place,” Holloway said. “I do know, however, that I was immensely proud of achieving those milestones.”

Despite his success on the CHS track, Holloway’s main athletic pursuit during college was the football team.

“I went to Stanford, like my brother and sister before me,” Holloway said. “I played football there. More accurately, I was on the football team. I pretty much only watched for my four years. It was a humbling experience.”

According to Holloway, although he considered switching to track and field during his time at Stanford, personal concerns over his ability to compete at the collegiate level kept him from making the jump.

“I did entertain the idea of moving from football to track, but I simply wasn’t fast enough or strong enough to match the sprinting or weights talent that Stanford had,” Holloway said.

After graduating Stanford, Holloway earned a Ph.D. from Yale University, and returned to teach African American Studies and American Studies in 1999. In 2005, he was invited to become the master of Calhoun College, one of the 12 residential colleges at Yale.

“My main advice is to enjoy yourself, but to realize that true joy comes from trying your hardest and then a little bit more,” Holloway said. “When you know you’ve given it your all, in this way you’ll have a deep satisfaction that beats everything else.”

Maryam Fikri

CHS graduate Maryam Fikri chose to keep her talents local after recording-breaking runs for the 800 and 1600-meter dashes during her senior year.

After graduating in 2010, Fikri went on to run cross country and track and field for the University of Maryland, where she is currently a senior.

According to Fikri, the jump from high school to collegiate athletics is a challenging one, but worth the time.

“Going from high school athletics to a Division I school was definitely a major adjustment and at times very challenging,” Fikri said. “The workouts are twice as hard and the field is twice as competitive. However it made me grow into a stronger runner and enriched my college experience.”

According to Fikri, the athletic environment she was in during her time as a Bulldog most contributed to her success during races.

“My coaches were extremely influential and very dedicated to the sport,” Fikri said. “Their encouragement and mentorship throughout my four years contributed greatly to my growth as a runner. My teammates were also a group of awesome people that I am still really close with today.”

maryam fikri track records 2