Coach resignations lead to questions for preseason

In a decision that stunned many in the CHS community, members of the varsity and JV basketball coaching staff have announced their departure from the Bulldogs to pursue other interests. Those who have left include varsity head coach Matt Miller, varsity assistant coach and JV head coach Mike Lovitt, varsity assistant coach Nic Mast and JV assistant coach Kevin Doherty.

Miller, who went 79-41 with the Bulldogs in the past five years, has accepted a position as an assistant basketball coach with Shepherd University, a Division II college in Virginia. Miller will also lecture in the school’s Health and Physical Education Department. Lovitt and Mast will be returning to school to complete their graduate degrees, while Doherty will remain in the classroom at CHS, where he teaches Personal Finance and TV Production.

According to an unnamed source who requested anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the topic, Miller was recently investigated by MCPS relating to whether his style of coaching had an impact on the May 20 suicide of CHS sophomore and varsity basketball player Evan Rosenstock. The results of the investigation were not shared with the Observer.

Miller denied the Observer’s request for an interview, but did refer us to his recent press announcement on the subject of his departure.

According to Dana Tofig, MCPS’s Director of Public Information and Web Services, an investigation may be undertaken if the county receives a complaint or concern about an employee from parents or other member of the school community.

“I think it is important to remember that simply because an investigation has been conducted, it does not mean that anyone has done anything wrong,” Tofig said. “But it the district’s duty to look into complaints when they arise.”

Tofig refused to comment on the investigation into Miller, stating it would “not be appropriate” to discuss the situation.

According to CHS athletic director Scott Rivinius, the athletic department fully supports Miller and his staff’s decision to leave, and does not think that the investigation had a role in his departure. The athletic department was notified about Miller’s decision before he told the team.

“Matt Miller was fully supported by MCPS officials, the Churchill administration and the Churchill athletic department for his basketball coaching position for the 2013-2014 season,” Rivinus wrote in an email. “Matt Miller resigned his coaching and teaching position because of a great opportunity that came about to coach at the collegiate level as well as teach at the collegiate level. The administration and athletic department fully support Coach Miller in his decision to take this job as coaching at the collegiate level had been one of Coach Miller’s long-term career goals.”

According to the press announcement, Miller “really felt at home at Churchill over the past five years,” but felt that it was “right for me at this point in my life” to move on.

Many players on the team were dismayed by the news of their coaches’ departures, which was revealed in a Sept. 12 meeting between the coaches and all varsity and JV players.

According to senior Allen Njumbe, there was a “really sad atmosphere” in the room after Miller broke the news to the team.

“There were some people in tears,” Njumbe said. “No one was happy about the news.”

The decision for the coaching staff to all leave simultaneously came as a surprise to players, who are currently going through pre-season training to prepare for the upcoming basketball season.

“I have no doubt that they all spent a lot of time together thinking about the decision and that everyone was on the same page before they told the team about it,” Njumbe said.

According to Rivinius, though Miller’s off season program was very helpful for players, he believes the team will still be able to effectively train for the season.

“The players were accustomed to a very organized and high-level off-season program run by Coach Miller and his staff,” Rivinius said. “It will be an adjustment for the players, but there are plenty of opportunities for the players to work out and work on their basketball skills before the start of the season.”

For the team’s seniors, the question now becomes how they will manage to train during the off-season and perhaps attempt a run at the playoffs in February.

“The most important thing is to keep the team focused on the season,” senior Charles Halverson said. “Without a coaching staff, it is easier to get lazy. We need to make sure that our teammates stay motivated for the season.”

According to Rivinus, the athletic department has already begun the process of finding new coaching staffs.

“The search for a new coach has begun,” Rivinius said. “There is a search committee of CHS staff members who have coached basketball that are looking for the next varsity and JV coach.”

Despite the confusion and abruptness of their coaches’ departure, the players’ thoughts are toward both the future and to preparing for a new era in CHS basketball.

“It may have been a consensus decision, but as players we can never know,” Halverson said. “All we can do is look forward to the season, prepare, and get to know our new coach.”