Young co-ed volleyball team gains experience

After a strong 9-2 season, the young co-ed volleyball team lost to Sherwood May 7 in the second round of the playoffs.

Last year the team lost six seniors and was left with only four returning players.  Although some feared that the lack of experience would hurt the team, returning players like junior captain Olivia Chao have stepped up as leaders.

“This year our record is pretty good,” Chao said. “I am really pleased with how we are preforming.”

According to Chao the returning players have been very helpful to the new players, who have been diligently listening and learning.

After losing to Northwest on March 23, the Bulldogs went on a winning streak in April to defeat seven of their next eight opponents, losing to only Wootton April 19.

According to sophomore Chris Hallock, Northwest was very difficult to play against because the players were so tall.

The Bulldogs defeated Richard Montgomery 3-1 in the first round of playoffs, but then were defeated by Sherwood in three sets May 7.

The team will only be losing one senior and next year hopes to accomplish its goal of winning states.

“I expect people to work hard in the off season and to train their bodies and minds,” Chao said. “I expect a high level of intensity and physical skill from each player.”