Lacrosse starts stong, aims for division title

Boys lacrosse began its season strong with a 7-0 start and hopes to maintain this winning streak for the rest of the season.

The team plans to carry out this season similarly to, if not better than, how they did last year.

“We are playing really well together and running off a lot of momentum from last year’s season,” senior captain Matt Leonard said.

The Bulldogs defeated rival Walter Johnson, 13-11, April 11 in the toughest game so far this season.

“Louis Dubick took the game over with will and determination in the fourth quarter,” head coach Jeffrey Fritz said.

The Bulldogs brought home a win March 23 with a final score of 20-1 against Blake. The team performed exceptionally well again April 9 against Paint Branch with a final score of 23-1.

“Louis Dubick set a school record for points in a game with seven goals and seven assists against Damascus,” Fritz said.

Dubick was not the only one to set a record.

“The team is playing very unselfishly,” Fritz said. “Fourteen different players registered either a goal or an assist verses Paint Branch, setting school records for most players with at least one point in a single game.”

The team lost 17 seniors last year, but several players have stepped up to contribute to the team.

“Louis Dubick stands out to me as he is a sophomore and has already committed to play at Maryland,” Leonard said. “Harry Criswell has filled in a crucial spot on defense as well.”

Despite the winning streak, the team hopes to continue to improve.

“The defense is still gelling and learning to be a cohesive unit,” Fritz said.

Expectations are soaring this season, and if the team continues to perform as they are, the state championship could be in reach.

“Goals are high,” Fritz said. “We want to win the 4A South Division, then the 4A/3A West Region Championship, and finally a 4A/3A State Championship.”

The Bulldogs played rival Wootton April 24 at home.

“We always look at Wootton as our toughest game of the year,” Dubick said. “April 24 should be a good one.”

No matter what the score, the Bulldogs show their full effort on the field every game.

“We are always stressing to play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back,” Fritz said.