Swim and Dive starts season with new coach

After winning against both Walter Johnson (WJ) Dec.10 and in a scrimmage against Poolesville Dec. 3, the swim team is looking forward to a strong season.

CHS men beat WJ 103-68, and the CHS women beat WJ 90-81.

“Many swimmers were missing the meet for another competition, so we relied on our depth to pull out a win,” coach Brendan Roddy said. “Seniors Todd Erikson and Odin Soevik and junior Michelle Illig were all triple event winners.”

Diving event winners include senior dive captain Timothy Faerber.

“The dive team is really hoping to improve on our consistency with the harder dives involving more acrobatic and gymnastic ability,” Faerber said. “This will allow us to compete with some of the best in the county and state.”

In the scrimmage, the Bulldogs defeat of Poolesville Dec. 3 gave new swimmers and divers the opportunity to demonstrate their skills.

“Since it was a scrimmage, the traditional scoring system was not in place,” Roddy said. “The swim and dive captains set the tone for the team with impressive swims and performance on the board.”

The team has been practicing since late November and hopes to become Division I champions.

“We are one of the dominant forces in the state,” Faerber said. “We are aiming to be at the top of our game when Metros and States hit in February.”

This is Roddy’s first year as the CHS coach. He replaced former coach Rodney Van Tassel, who coached the team for 10 years.

“My goal this season is to make sure that students have fun,” Roddy said. “I was extremely impressed with all the swimmers and divers’ performance, but what impressed me most was the team’s spirit.”