Intramurals give students alternate lunchtime activity

Lunchtime intramural sports have started up again this year after they were cancelled last year because they got too competitive, according to athletic director David Kelley.

Physical Education and Health teacher Joel Aronchick started lunchtime sports during the 2010-2011 school year, and is continuing the games this year. Many CHS students requested to play different sports at lunch, including soccer.

“We are offering a greater variety of sports including volleyball, badminton, basketball and indoor soccer,” Aronchick said.

According to Aronchick, offering many different sports at lunch is a way to get more students involved.

“We don’t just want basketball during intramurals because it doesn’t give all students an opportunity,” Principal Joan Benz said. “Basketball was being played by just boys, and the girls didn’t have a physical outlet at lunchtime.”

According to Aronchick, the girls tend to watch the games during lunch and hang out with their friends, rather than play.

“It’s fun to watch because people get intense and it’s really exciting to see them have fun,” sophomore Stacey Lefeged said.

Lunchtime games are played in a non-competitive atmosphere, and no registration is required. Students who are not playing a lunchtime sport can watch their friends play sports.

“We are going to try to mirror what is going on in general P.E. classes,” Aronchick said. “The gym is the new lunchtime hangout spot for kids.”

Lunchtime sports also allow kids who did not make JV or Varsity sports team to get involved with the sports they love.

“It gives everyone an opportunity to play a game,” Kelley said. “It gives everyone an outlet to participate.”

According to ’11 alumnus and varsity boys soccer captain Richmond Van Winter, who participated in lunchtime intramural soccer, lunchtime sports allow kids who didn’t make the school teams to stay involved in the sport and have a lot of fun at the same time.

Additionally, lunchtime sports are a nice break in the school day.

“It’s very difficult for some students to sit all morning in four classes,” Benz said. “It just gives them another opportunity to play and have some fun in the middle of the day.”

According to senior and lunchtime soccer participant Brian Mokua, lunchtime soccer allows students to play the sport they love.

“It relieves all the schoolwork stress that you have throughout the day,” Mokua said.

Lunchtime soccer is played in the main gym and is open to all students regardless of their athletic ability.

“Students are encouraged to participate because it is a fun, non-competitive activity,” Aronchick said.