Swim and dive dominate regular season competition

After a dominant regular season, the boys swim team won divisionals Feb. 12 at B-CC by 50 points over second placed Wootton. The girls swim team took second place to Whitman.
CHS proved to be one of the best teams in the county as the boys went undefeated at a 5-0 record and the girls went 4-1 in the regular season dual meets. The Bulldogs now have momentum going into counties after their strong performance at divisionals.

“I feel that we are very prepared for counties because everyone put in the work,” head coach Rodney Van Tassell said. “We just need to focus on getting the job done.”

At divisionals, juniors Odin Soevik, Samuel Lee and Colin Asbury and sophomore Austin Cole took first place in the boys 200 freestyle relay. Asbury and Cole also finished first and second in the boys 100 freestyle. Senior captain Brian Xiao placed first in the boys 100 butterfly.

“After our performance in divisionals, our team goal is to win counties on both sides,” senior captain Michael Pratt said. “We feel confident we can accomplish this goal by improving relay exchanges and creating the fastest relay lineups.”

The girls 200 freestyle relay placed a close second as junior Nataya Ares came within a second of first place, along with sophomore Michelle Illig and freshmen Alicia Tiberino and Bridget Dromerick. Tiberino also placed second in the girls backstroke.

“We have had a ton of underclassmen step it up this year,” Van Tassel said. “For example, Austin Cole has improved a ton and become our number one ranked freestyler, and sophomore Sara Ewel is one of the most improved as she is a full time contributor to the team.”

Junior captain Timothy Faerber also finished first in his one meter diving event at divisionals. Faerber has finished first in every event this season, except in the dual meet against Wootton.

“It is a great accomplishment to win divisionals,” Faerber said. “My individual goal is to win counties and metros, but it will be tough.”

The boys team concluded the regular season looking like a powerhouse with a 114-57 blowout win over Whitman Jan. 29. The girls team put in a great effort but fell to Whitman 88-83 in its first loss in a dual meet.

“The swim team has been able to be successful mostly due to our depth,” Pratt said. “We can have our fourth fastest guy in a race beat the opponents first fastest guy.”

In the meet against Whitman, junior Chris Wysocki and Ares were double event winners. Ares also anchored the girls 400 free relay that finished first along with Tiberino, Illig and Dromerick. Freshman Harrison Gu, Stanhope, Xiao, Soevik and freshman Harrison Gu finished first in the Medley Relay.

“A big reason for our success this year is due to the captains providing leadership, communication and picking people up,” Van Tassell said. “They are four of the best captains I have had.”