Field Hockey struggles to maintain positive record

After losing three games in a row, the Lady Bulldogs put out an impressive performance to beat county powerhouse Quince Orchard Oct. 11 by a decisive score of 3-2, improving their record to 3-6. Despite this victory, the Lady Bulldogs fell to Magruder 4-2 on their senior night, Oct. 15.

The girls came out strong in the QO game, scoring two goals right away: the first by junior Alex Fox and assisted by junior Roshan Promisel, and the second by senior captain Hannah Phillips, also assisted by Promisel. Senior captain Sara Satin further extended the lead with an unassisted shot in the late first half, securing the Bulldogs with a 3-0 score at halftime.

“[We] played a really good game,” coach Kay Miller said. “We worked well as a team and communicated well with each other, which resulted in good passes and support.”

CHS held the score late into the second half. With fifteen minutes left, QO scored and finally cut into the Bulldogs’ lead. After a long defensive half led by junior captain Eliza Farha and senior Danielle Kline, QO made a final push and scored with 13 seconds left, yet they ran out of time, handing CHS their first victory since Sept. 29.

“Despite our record, we are a very good team,” Miller said. “If we play the way we did today, together, we can make anything happen.”

The field hockey team was earlier defeated 3-2 in a stern battle against Walter Johnson Oct. 7. Sophomore Jennifer Shim and junior Alex Fox scored the two goals.

The defeat plunged the girls to a record of 2-6. Despite this, the Lady Bulldogs maintain positive attitudes.

“If we all work together and try 100 percent of the time we can start beating more teams,” Farha said. “We need to keeps our heads up.”

Almost instantly after the second half began, the Lady Dawgs stuck a wicked ball across the goal, which junior Mairin Hall controlled and set up for Fox to tap in, making the score 2-2.

“The goal after the first half [was a critical point in the game],” Fox said. “We got really encouraged by it.”

In overtime, after a defensive struggle to clear the ball, the girls got caught off guard and were forced into a penalty shot in favor of WJ, which they scored to win due to the golden goal rule.

The girls were looking to rebound from losing the past two games to Whitman in overtime by 3-2, Oct. 1, and to B-CC by a score of 4-1, Oct. 5. After being down early 2-0, the girls rallied a great comeback to tie the game.