Soccer practices hard to replicate last year’s success

The CHS boys and girls soccer teams are both looking forward to a great season this year.
The girls team remained undefeated last year up until the regional championship game. The boys team did not do as well as they had in previous years, in part because many key players were injured.
“Our season was sort of three different seasons,” boys head coach Arnold Tarzy said. “[There was the part] before the injuries, our initial portion after the injuries, and then after we adjusted. We struggled to find our form and the right combination to make up for the loss.”
While players were lost due to injuries last year, some important players, such as Cameron Kidwell and Brendon Warshauer, were lost to graduation in June. According to Tarzy, Warshauer was one of two players who was injured last year and then graduated, so the team had to deal with losing him twice.
Despite being disappointed about last season, senior Richmond Van Winter is optimistic about this one.
“We are going to do really well,” Van Winter said. “Last year the younger guys showed some chemistry and teamwork, and we are hoping that will reflect on our team this year.”
Players to watch include Van Winter, senior Stephen Hauschild and junior Eli Lorenzi. The team was very young last year with many freshmen and sophomores taking on important positions.
“We’re pretty optimistic that those players needing another year of experience will step in and help the team,” Tarzy said. “I feel that we can defeat or beat any team in the county.”
Girls head coach Haroot Hakopian is also expecting the girls to play well this year. Players to watch include seniors Alexis Shay, Krista Quicker and Adela Miller and junior Jenna Cantor.
“We have all but four of our players returning,” Hakopian said. “We have some very good younger players who we are looking forward to seeing on the varsity team as well.”
However, that is not to say that the team has not lost important players. According to Hakopian, three of the four seniors who graduated were starters.
“[Pam Vranis] was Montgomery County Player of the Year,” Hakopian said. “She was also first team All-American, meaning that she was one of the best 75 players in the country. She’s going to be hard to replace.”
Shay was very happy with the team’s performance last year, but believes that the team will be even better this year.

“I expect us to compete for the state championship,” Shay said.
According to Hakopian, CHS soccer is considered one of the best programs in the county—for both boys and girls.

“Come out and watch the games,” Van Winter said. “We’re going to be really good.”