Athlete of the Month: Zoe Kabelac

On a team of girls who moved on to the regional semifinals, it’s almost impossible to stand apart from all the other players, but in such a team Zoe Kabelac has done the impossible to shine in a group of standouts.

Ironically, Kabelac started playing lacrosse when she was in sixth grade at Bullis because, at the time, she was too intimidated to play softball because of the coach. She has continued to play lacrosse as well as soccer in her freshman and sophomore year, and then field hockey her senior year.

“Zoe is an all around athlete,” junior Bea Matthews said. “She is capable of taking the ball from each end of the field continuously, which is hard. She is hard working and always strives to be a better player.”

According to head coach Christen Pena-Ariet, Kabelac is a dangerous player because she is able to shoot with both hands and has the skills to play every position well.

Other than the Bulldogs, Kabelac plays with club team FS Lax. With the Bulldogs, Kabelac practices season round and participates in off-season practices every Sunday. Not only does Kabelac lead her team on the field, but she also leads off the field when she uses her leadership skills in practices to add fun and entertainment.

“I’d like to think I lead the team as I try to score, pass the ball on attack and help in transition,” Kabelac said. “I also like to think I add fun to practices with dancing, singing and joking around when it is appropriate.”

For the 2010 season, Kabelac scored a total of 55 goals and had two assists, but her greatest accomplishment was last season, when she was the Montgomery County’s top scorer and was nominated for the 2009 All-Met team. Kabelac also was selected to be on the D.C. Metro team at the U.S. Lacrosse Women’s Division National Tournament.

“It felt good to be on All-Met,” Kabelac said. “Montgomery County is getting better because [of] the mix of private school and the talented public school players.”

Her goal for the remainder of the season is to score one goal during every offseason game.

This fall Kabelac will be attending University of Maryland, College Park where she hopes to play lacrosse at the club level.

“I hope she continues to have fun and if she wants to play lacrosse go for it,” junior Jamie Oppenheimer said. “She always has a positive attitude on and off the field. During practice you always hear her voice providing support and encouragement.”