Boys lacrosse boasts more experienced lineup

The boys lacrosse team, led by 15 seniors and head coach Jeff Fritz, began its season March 22 at B-CC. However, the team has been practicing since March 1 and has had many scrimmages to prepare for the season.

“Everybody is going into the season with a big hope of success,” senior goalie Max Kalicka said. “We have all been waiting for senior year and we are going to set the bar high.”

Last year the Bulldogs had an 8-3 record before losing to Whitman in the playoffs. CHS beat Whitman earlier in the year by a pretty large margin, but lost a close game to them in the first round of the playoffs.

Looking forward to the new season, many players have high expectations for the team. Even though the team has a young midfield, much of the team has had varsity experience.
“This season will be very different from last,” Kalicka said. “The defense will have some of the most experience on the field and we’re a very close group.”

The team has to deal with the hard task of replacing players who graduated last year, but many players have stepped in to fill in those positions. CHS has scheduled a few scrimmages early in the preseason against highly competitive opponents to prepare themselves for when the regular season begins. 

“We got to assess some talent levels of different people,” Fritz said. “So now we just need to tweak our lineup to make the most productive team we can.”

Players from the team have been participating in winter indoor lacrosse leagues together. Also, the team has been practicing three times a week since school began, running practices just like Fritz would have since he is not allowed to coach the team in the offseason.

“We have very high expectations,” senior Matt Bank said. “With over 15 returning seniors, we look to be very competitive.”