Girls basketball hopes to bounce back in playoffs

The girls basketball team has been rolling through the regular season with a 14-7 record, and with the playoffs just a few days away, they will work to carry that momentum into the playoffs.

When the Bulldogs made up their game against Whitman Feb. 22, the game was tied at 23 during halftime. However, the team fell 57-46 with sophomore Jill Beauregard scoring 11 points and sophomore Sarafina Arthur-Williams scoring 10 points. 

“We were winning by a lot and played very well at the beginning, but then we stopped playing defense,” Arthur-Williams said. “We tried to pick it up at the end but it just was not enough.”
CHS went into its game against undefeated Seneca Valley Feb. 19 looking for an upset. The Bulldogs were up by five at halftime, however they fell 58-54 in the end.

Due to the snow days, the game against Gaithersburg was canceled and the game against Richard Montgomery was rescheduled for Feb. 17. The Bulldogs had to get back into playing shape after a long week off. 

“To beat Richard Montgomery we have to come out hard because they have a few players who can really make or break the game, and if we do not shut them down then the game will not be in our favor,” Arthur-Williams said.

The Bulldogs pulled through against RM with a 60-49 win. Arthur-Williams had 11 points and 15 rebounds coming back from a concussion.

“The snow week definitely affected our shooting in the game,” head coach Katelyn McMahon said. “We did not shoot as well as we usually do, but we pulled out the victory.”

CHS came out strong early against Walter Johnson Feb. 2 while Beauregard scored 14 points in a 55-49 victory. WJ came back late in the game, but the Bulldogs were able to hold off their opponents.

Even though CHS had a couple of tough losses against strong teams at the end of the season, the team is still hoping for a strong appearance in the playoffs. 

“Big wins at the end of the season will help us in the playoffs along with a first round bye,” junior Gulia Giannangeli said. “So hopefully all the practice will help us  against whichever opponent we face.”