Archrival brings hockey team’s season to tragic end

Bulldogs’ faces after the clock struck zero Feb. 12.  The hockey team’s playoff run was ended by rival Wootton by a score of 3-2.

In a sold-out rematch of the hockey team’s final regular season game, the team fell to the third- seed Wootton.  A last minute goal secured the win for the Patriots.

With just over a minute to play, junior goalie Spencer Trone committed a costly penalty, putting Wootton on a powerplay during which they scored the final goal.  CHS could not tie the game, and Wootton celebrated the end to the Bulldogs’ season.

“Wootton got a couple lucky bounces, and that’s all you need in a battle between two good teams,” senior captain David Finder said.             

CHS closed its regular season with a convincing 5-3 win over Wootton in front of a packed crowd at Rockville Ice Arena Jan. 29.

In a game that would decide seeding for the playoffs, it was the juniors on the team who stepped up big. Junior Curtis Milkman led the way offensively with two goals, and Trone stopped 32 of 35 shots.

“We played simple hockey and shut down Wootton’s big players early in the game,” senior Kohler Brafford said.

Giving up only three goals to the high-powered Wootton offense was key for the Bulldogs in their victory. 

“[Our team’s stronger area is] definitely our goaltending,” Finder said.  “[Trone] has been a brick wall.”

Trone allowed a mere 14 goals in 11 league games.  His transfer from Poolesville has had a huge impact on the Bulldogs this season. 

“He has kept us in every game we’ve played in, and made some dynamic saves to win us 10 games,” Finder said.

The Bulldogs rode a five-game winning streak into the playoffs since their loss to top seed Whitman during the regular season.  During the streak, they had very convincing wins over Richard Montgomery/Rockville, Blake and Damascus.

The team hopes to build off the success it had this season for next year.  It finished the season with a record of 10-2 against league teams.  With a strong junior goalie and sophomore forward Alex Dourian leading the team in points this season, they are a promising team for the future.
“I believe Dourian [was the team MVP],” Brafford said.  “He led the team in points, demonstrates a love for the game and is a great team player.”