New principal arrives at CHS

By Sophie Liss, Editor-in-Chief

The MCPS Board of Education appointed Ms. Brandice Heckert to be the new principal of CHS May 21. Heckert will replace principal Joan Benz July 1.

Heckert was the assistant principal at Bethesda Chevy Chase (B-CC) High School before being appointed principal of CHS. She was also previously a math teacher, Student Government Association (SGA) sponsor, head cheerleading coach and an administrator at other MCPS high schools, including principal intern at Clarksburg High School.

As principal, Heckert will focus on fulfilling the needs of students and strengthening a sense of community at CHS. Heckert has already shown her support for CHS students and athletics, as she went to the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association (MPSSAA) Class 4A Championship May 23 at Stevenson University in which CHS varsity boys lacrosse lost a close game to Severna Park High School in overtime.

“As principal, I am most looking forward to getting to know the community and forming a unified community,” Heckert said as she watched CHS compete in the lacrosse state final game. “I love being here tonight, and I can’t wait for more events like these that will unify the community. I also am looking forward to continuing the excellence that already exists at Churchill.”

Sophie Liss, Print Editor in Chief
Class of 2019 Sophie Liss is the Editor-in-Chief for the Churchill Observer alongside Jenna Greenzaid. Sophie is a member of Churchill’s class of 2019 and has enjoyed writing for the paper since her freshman year. When she is not writing for the newspaper, Sophie enjoys spending time outside with her dog and hanging out with...