Summer health program clears up space in schedules

Freshman+Aliki+Dimitoglou+works+on+the+chromebook.+Taking+Health+online+is+one+of+the+three+choices+that+tenth+graders+have+to+complete+their+mandatory+credit.+

Courtesy of Ela Jalil

Freshman Aliki Dimitoglou works on the chromebook. Taking Health online is one of the three choices that tenth graders have to complete their mandatory credit.

By Ela Jalil, Assistant News Editor

Most WCHS students spend their summer vacationing, hanging out at the pool or going to camp. Going to three weeks of classes during the summer is not an ideal activity, but many rising 10th graders have to make the difficult decision between taking the required course Health over the summer or during the school year.

Health is one of the many classes offered during the Summer Symposium that WCHS hosts every year. The classes offered are either for credit or are non-credit classes. The classes offered for credit are Health and Geometry. However, the non-credit classes have more variety ranging from prep classes for history or language classes, to college essay writing classes.

Health is offered in two sessions over three week intervals. The first session is from June 24, one week after school ends, to July 12. The second session is from July 16 to August 1. The cost of the class is $300, and it can either be taken online or in school. The students that take the online class have to come in twice to meet with their instructor, and do the rest of their work at home.

In order to take Health during the school year you must pair it with another one semester class because Health is a single semester class.

Health, arts, technology and physical education are all mandatory credits that all students need to graduate. Figuring out how to fit them into crowded schedules are a struggle and taking health over the summer seems like a perfect solution.

“I don’t have space in my schedule during the school year so I am taking it over the summer,” freshman Arya Iyer said. “A lot of my friends are taking health over the summer and are in the same session so that’s a major benefit of taking health over the summer.”

The honors credit is given to students who take the class in school and not those who take the course online.

“I have commitments during the summer and I don’t have the time to go into school everyday, so I’m doing it online. I also don’t have a ride to get to school, ” freshman Sonia Bhatia said. “I want to use my electives during school to be able to explore other interests and classes that I would actually enjoy instead of taking health.”

Students who take the class in school over the summer have to come in from 8:10 a. m. to 1:55 p. m. from Monday to Friday. Students will learn and expand their knowledge about various topics that they have learned in health over the previous years of middle school. According to the Summer Symposium newsletter, students will be learning about mental and emotional health, drugs, safety and injury prevention and disease prevention and control.

“I’m taking health over the summer because it’s a mandatory class and I have to take it eventually,” freshman Ria Sehgal said. “While what we are learning in the class is really important, it’s kind of disappointing that I am essentially taking school during the summer.”

On the other hand, some student’s summers are too busy to dedicate three weeks and six hours every day. Vacations, camps, jobs,internships, the cost and an inability to get a ride to school are all factors that cause people to sign up for health during the school year.

I’m taking health over the school year because I am very busy over the summer,” freshman Daniella Lew said. ¨I play travel softball so we are always going to different states for college showcases and tournaments from June to August.”

No matter what a student chooses, they will all learn the important information that Health class teaches.

“I think that it is whatever works best for the student. It’s not a one size fits all experience. It just depends on the student and what they want to accomplish,” Summer Symposium scheduler,AP NSL and Modern American Culture teacher Evan Rosenthal said.