“To All the Boys” spin-off series, “Xo, Kitty,” is set to hit Netflix

XO%2C+Kitty+releases+on+May+18%2C+starring+Anna+Cathcart+as+Kitty+and+featuring+many+new+characters.+

Photo courtesy of @xokittynetflix on Instagram

“XO, Kitty” releases on May 18, starring Anna Cathcart as Kitty and featuring many new characters.

By Kalena Yee, Features Editor

Finished with AP exams and need a new show to binge and unwind to? For rom-com lovers, the new Netflix series “XO, Kitty” might be the answer.

On May 18, Netflix will release its new spin-off series, “XO, Kitty” based on the beloved “To All The Boys” movie series. This ten episode romantic comedy will be Netflix’s first television show spun off of a Netflix original film.

Inspired by the trilogy of novels by Jenny Han, the “To All the Boys” series focuses on Lara Jean Covey, a hopeless romantic, as she explores high school romance with love interest, Peter Kavinsky. “XO, Kitty,” however, takes place four years later and focuses on her extroverted younger sister, Kitty (Anna Cathcart), as she explores her own love story.

With her sisters off at college, 16-year-old Kitty decides it is time for her own adventure. Kitty finds out her mother, who passed away when she was a baby, attended Korean Independent School of Seoul, or KISS, the same school that her four-year long distance boyfriend, Dae (Minyeong Choi), who she met in the “To All the Boys” series, goes to. Kitty believes that this coincidence is a sign of true love.

Wanting to feel closer to her mother, connect with her Korean heritage and reunite with her boyfriend, Kitty decides to enroll in KISS and leaves her home in Portland, Oregon to move across the world to Seoul, South Korea.

Kitty believes she knows everything there is to love, as she has witnessed it with Lara Jean and Peter, as well as her father and step-mother. However, Kitty’s entire world is turned upside down once she arrives in Seoul and finds out that Dae, the “love of her life,” has a girlfriend.

Kitty quickly discovers that love is a lot more complicated than she originally thought. Nonetheless, as she explores the city and experiences new things, Kitty realizes that this journey is not for a boy, but for herself.

“To All The Boys” fans are especially excited for this series since “XO, Kitty” will be an entirely new storyline instead of based off of Han’s books like the previous films. In a Netflix interview, Han explains viewers do not need to watch the “To All The Boys” series to understand “XO, Kitty” because it is its own world entirely. Viewers are also intrigued to get a peek into the inner thoughts and feelings of an older Kitty as she steps into the spotlight as the main character, especially since she is very different from Lara Jean.

Unfortunately, since author Jenny Han wants Kitty’s story to be entirely separate, it has been confirmed that neither Lara Jean or Peter Kavinksy from the “To All the Boys” series will make an appearance in “XO, Kitty.” Nevertheless, many new and interesting characters will be introduced in the series including Kitty’s best friend Q (Anthony Keyvan), social media influencer Yuri (Gia Kim) and misunderstood narcissist Min Ho (Sang Heon Lee).

Eager fans are on the edge of their seats counting down the days for the release of “XO, Kitty.” With May 18 just around the corner, fans will not have to wait much longer to see whether this series is going to be their new Netflix addiction.