Teacher of the Month: Jillian Tebay

Photo by Tafa Nutakor
WCHS teacher Ms. Tebay smiles while holding her Teacher of the Month certificate. This is her second year teaching art at WCHS.

Paintings, drawings and photographs are plastered on every wall of the classroom. This decor is certainly befitting for someone who teaches a range of different art classes. When students enter WCHS teacher Jillian Tebay’s classroom, they are immediately overtaken by the artistic spirit of the room.

Although it is only her second year teaching at WCHS, Ms. Tebay has profoundly impacted the school’s artistic community. Teaching 2D Studio Art, AP Drawing, AP Art History and AP 2-D Art and Design, Tebay is a staple of the Art department. Her love for art and teaching isn’t new, as she has always wanted to be an art teacher.

“When I was a kid, I was always really into both art and teaching,” Tebay said. “In middle school, it hit me that I could combine the two. Ever since then, I’ve known that this is what I wanted to do.”

Tebay grew up in Pennsylvania and earned her bachelor’s degree in painting and master’s in art education from the Maryland Institute College of Art. Although finding the time can be difficult, Tebay continues to create whenever possible.

“I like to create little things in my free time to unwind,” Tebay said. “I do a lot of acrylic ink work, which is like a mix of drawing and painting.”

When teaching content, Tebay uses a combination of different activities and assignments. Individual work is not uncommon, but there are plenty of collaborative activities. The range of techniques Tebay uses ensures that her students are well-equipped with the necessary knowledge.

“In AP Art History, we learn in a ton of different ways,” WCHS senior Sana Pilevar said. “Some days, it is mostly notes, but we also have small group discussions and review games to help us.”

Above all, Tebay prioritizes a positive learning experience for her students. She asks her students to provide feedback on the different teaching styles she employs and implements changes based on the responses.

“Recently, [Ms. Tebay] had us fill out a survey ranking the different activities and how helpful we found them. I like that she checked in with us to see what was working and what wasn’t,” Pilevar said.

Regardless of what class they are taking, Tebay enjoys watching the progress that her students make. The passion and enthusiasm that she brings to class help students engage with the content and begin to appreciate art more.

“I love being able to talk to students and watch the growth that they have,” Tebay said. “I have had students come into my class saying they hate art, and by the end are signed up again for next year. I think that’s one of the best parts of my job.”