Philosophy and ethics club: where thoughtful conversations and complex arguments meet

Photo courtesy of Josh Heimlich

Philosophy and ethics club vice president, Josh Heimlich, intensely reflects in front of a presentation regarding philosophy of economics.

By Jack Gans, Social Media Manager

Morals tested and debates brewed: the WCHS Philosophy and Ethics club is booming with large turnouts this year. As one enters room 234, debate is in motion as the question of the meeting is displayed on the board.

The club was created in 2020 by WCHS senior Amanda Kossoff with goals of picking up on the lack of philosophy and ethics education at WCHS, as well as exploring problems that are going on today. 

The Philosophy and Ethics club is arguably one of the most popular clubs at WCHS because of its consistent attendance, ranging from 20–30 attendees to as much as 40–50 per meeting. So many people go to the club meetings because of its unique topics presented kinesthetically every month. 

“My favorite meeting was one last year regarding the multiverse and butterfly effect that had people thinking and discussing in classes afterwards as it’s truly riveting,” club Vice President and WCHS senior Josh Heimlich said.

As people trickle in, the meeting opens with a question to think about. It is continued through either a lecture, debate, game or video. Toward the end of the meeting, food is available for members. 

“I would define philosophy and ethics as the study of the way we see the world and how we think other people should see the world while discussing complex subjects,” club attendee and WCHS senior Nishu Shah said. “The club is very low pressure as there are meetings only once a month which makes it all the more special!” 

However, only meeting once a month means the Philosophy and Ethics Club has to cover many important topics in short periods of time. Each topic is well thought out to keep the members engaged, so the month wait is worth it.

“We have all types of interesting topics and projects going on all the time,” Heimlich said.

“People are quite involved, even writing a philosophy and ethics children’s book.” 

These meetings are largely interactive and keep everyone involved. Recently the club held a debate if billionaires should be obligated to contribute wealth to societies less fortunate, which had the members at crossroads. 

The meetings take place in room 234 in the main hallway where you will see the club president Amanda Kossoff preparing the presentation,” Heimlich said. “We prepare really well for our meetings so we can generate the most interest in timely topics.”

For students interested in participating in the Ethics Bowl and future club meetings, more information is available on their instagram, @wchsphilosophy. Students can also join their Google Classroom to stay up to date with club meetings and topics while getting more involved with their peers.

“This was my first meeting as a senior and the assembly was as packed as ever, members were asking questions and were engrossed in the officers’ presentation of the moral debacle surrounding wealth,” Shah said. “I can’t wait for the next meeting, but like we learned: leisure is the mother of philosophy.”