Would you like fries with that? Check out the Golden Arches

The+McDonalds+workers+have+been+hard+at+work+since+their+opening+at+WCHS+to+ensure+they+can+accommodate+the+students.+
Photo by Isabel Vorabhanda
The McDonalds workers have been hard at work since their opening at WCHS to ensure they can accommodate the students.

WCHS students scrambled to school on March 1, 2024 to see if the rumor was true. There  were whispers that the McDonalds that closed at Cabin John Shopping Center was coming to WCHS and as much as students refused to believe it, when March first rolled around, there was a McDonalds walk by window in the place of the school store. 

“McDonalds is such a staple fast food place, I thought that there was no way that it would come to a high school,” WCHS junior Ronald McDonall said. “I tried really hard to not believe a random rumor, but I couldn’t help but think what would happen if it did.”

McDonall regularly goes to McDonalds, usually grabbing either breakfast or lunch. After hearing that it was closing at Cabin John, he was devastated as he felt nothing could compare. But, to his surprise, McDonalds has come to WCHS making his daily McDonalds trips even more convenient.

“Even though McDonalds is not somewhere I usually go, I am a lot more gravitated to it now because it is so convenient and easy to grab at school,” WCHS senior Maurice McDaid said.

A food chain as big as McDonalds coming to WCHS is extremely unexpected, but it is smart for a number of reasons. It is not just useful to students, but also for sports game spectators and anyone visiting the school. This landmark addition puts WCHS down in the nationwide history books for being the first pioneer in the collaboration between fast food and education..

“The prices are affordable and just right for students not wanting to spend too much money on a single breakfast or lunch,” McDonall said. “As much or little thought that went into this, it has truly motivated students to make it to the end of the school year.”

Not only has this excited students throughout the school, it has made it significantly easier for students to make sure they are making time to eat during the day. Moreover, students used to struggle with finding time to pack breakfast and lunch, but those struggles are now of the past.  With less hassle than what goes into getting your friends food or asking your parents to drop off something, students are able to be more focused with less stomach rumbles. 

Although there is a more limited menu, the basics like hash browns, breakfast sandwiches, fries, hamburgers, chicken nuggets and more still remain. They also still feature their well known happy meals and some dollar menu items, which seem to be some of the best selling items. 

“As dramatic as it may sound, having a McDonalds at school has made coming here a little bit more enjoyable,” McDaid said. “The workers are super nice and always have a smile on their faces, helping lighten up students’ days.”

Students that regularly visit the fast food restaurant have really come to know the workers and have formed uplifting bonds with them. In place of the once school store, friendships and bonds have sprouted. 

“Opening up McDonalds in Churchill was such a good decision,” McDonall said. “It has really brought the school together and has given us more reason to come to school.”