The hottest summer events in DC

Photo courtesy of @unionmarketdc on Instagram

The 11th Annual Drive-In at Union Market is finally back where movies will be shown on the first and third Friday of every month through July 21.

By Julia Levi, Observations Editor

As the days get longer and WCHS students begin their summer break, they can brighten up dull summer days with various activities located in the nation’s capital. From food tours to concerts, Washington D.C. is bound to offer something entertaining for everyone.

The Drive-In at Union Market
Grab some food and pull up to watch movies during the first and third Friday of the month, up until July 21. Admission is only $20 per car, but visitors without cars can watch for free from Neal Place in Union Market. Timeless classics such as “Clueless” and “Hairspray,” as well as “Top Gun Maverick” will be shown.

Robert Houle: Red is Beautiful
Visit The National Museum of the American Indian to view a new exhibit dedicated to Saulteaux First Nations Canadian artist, Robert Houle. Houle’s works blend abstraction with modernism, and have played a significant role in the revival of indigenous heritage. As if it couldn’t get any better, admission to this exhibit is free for all.

New York City Ballet at The Kennedy Center
From June 6-11, The New York City Ballet will return to The Kennedy Center’s Opera House where they will perform works from renowned choreographers George Balanchine and Jerome Robbins. Make sure to snag tickets soon to have the opportunity to watch one of the most elite dance companies in the world perform. Ticket prices are ranging from approximately $29 to $109.

Secret Food Tours
Feeling hungry? For $79 one can take a food tour through D.C. for an engaging gastronomy experience. From Ethiopian Sambusa to Chicken Shawarma Wraps, tour goers will be left happy, full and satisfied with the delicious food opportunities along the way. Gain a significantly greater cultural understanding of D.C. through food and taste a classic home cooked Maryland dish as well!

Fireworks on July 4
Head to the Lincoln Memorial, the National Mall, or the Washington Monument to get a great view of this beautiful red, white and blue extravaganza launched from both sides of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool this Independence Day. The firework display will last a total of 35 minutes and will begin at 9:00pm.

Waterfront Activities at The Wharf
Cool off from the summer heat with various waterfront activities such as boating, paddleboarding and kayaking at The Wharf on the Southwest Waterfront. Visit The Wharf Boathouse for paddleboard and kayak opportunities with hourly rentals or season pass availability and get ready to dive into summer!

Concerts at The Anthem
Going to a concert is a great way to enjoy music in a lively atmosphere, while being entertained. The Anthem’s spacious yet intimate environment is a great venue to attend any concert. Watch singer-songwriter Melanie Martinez perform on July 2 and rapper and songwriter T-Pain perform on July 8 at The Anthem. Tickets are currently available for purchase on online sites such as Ticketmaster.

Planet Word
Dive into the world of language with a visit to this recently opened language arts museum in D.C. Planet Word. It has numerous self guided exhibits that bring words alive, inspired by the vast number of languages present in the world. Admission is free, so grab friends and head to Planet World for an experience that will reinforce an appreciation for language.

Take advantage of beautiful summer weather to spend time outside and try something new. Turn lazy summer days into exciting ones with one of these experiences located right within the nation’s capital.