SGA plans to prove we’ve got spirit, yes we do

The SGA’s main priority for this year is to increase student spirit, in addition to fundraising for important causes and improving outdated areas of the school.

“Our biggest objective for this year is to get more kids involved with school events,” senior vice president Louis Dubick said.  “We are stressing school spirit rather than just a single event.”

In order to increase school spirit, the SGA has started CHS Spirit Day every Friday, where students sport their blue and green attire at school.  The officers are also using social media to promote the fun of school events to a wider audience of students.

“We are being much more proactive when it comes to getting the news out about events and fundraisers,” senior treasurer Kyle Solomon said.  “We are making more videos advertising the events to make sure everyone knows how fun they are going to be.”

Other officers plan to use Instagram to publicize school events by releasing a hashtag and deciding which post from each event is the best to earn a prize.

“This will help spread the word about events as well as create competition among students,” senior historian Nick Muscarella said.

The SGA is also reviving Superfan Cookouts before home games.  During this event, free food will be provided for students who wear their Superfan shirts.  The school will be selling last year’s Superfan shirts again this year but is looking into releasing a new Superfan shirt design in the future.

“Last year we did not have any Superfan cookouts, but this year we are bringing back the tradition,” senior president Marco Gutierrez said.  “We have to get people to come back who forgot about it and make sure all of our new students are aware of it.”

Not only is the SGA working to improve student involvement at CHS, but it is also working to increase fundraising efforts for important charities.

“We are making sure to increase our fundraising by having new events that will bring in more money for important causes such as cancer awareness, autism and many others,” Gutierrez said.

The SGA is also working to update the dress code video, which is two years old, and the constitution for school and class SGA.

“We had a few problems from last year’s election, so we are currently writing a new constitution to make sure that elections are fair and equal for all students,” Gutierrez said.

Students have a fun-filled year to look forward to, with SGA-planned events such as homecoming, Mr. CHS and CHS Got Talent, in addition to new events currently in the workings.

“We are looking forward to a very spirited year, and I hope to improve all our events as much as possible,” Gutierrez said.