Local trails offer ample summer biking opportunities

May is Bike Month, and with the weather warming up, now is a great time to explore the metropolitan area.

Students can participate in many events throughout the spring, including BikeJam, an all-day family-friendly festival held in Baltimore’s Patterson Park May 19. There is also Tour Dem Parks Hon, an annual tour of the Baltimore parks system in early June. For students looking for a local outlet, the CHS Cycling Club also offers students the chance to go on bike rides with their peers.

“CHS Cycling is exactly what it sounds like,” Cycling Club president junior Matt Baris said. “We encourage our members to join us on optional bike rides throughout the area.”

A variety of biking trails throughout the metropolitan area allow bikers of all levels to find a trail that suits their needs. Many students’ favorite trail is the Capital Crescent Trail that stretches from Silver Spring to Georgetown.

“I like the Capital Crescent Trail because is has smooth pavement, it is nice and flat, and it goes right along the C&O Canal, so the scenery is great,” Cycling Club vice president junior Ethan Finke said.

According to junior Julia Taladay, she also likes the Capital Crescent trail “because it is shaded and in the woods.”

Other popular places include MacArthur Boulevard, the Bethesda Trolley Trail and the trails within Cabin John Park.

“MacArthur Boulevard has sidewalks most of the way, and features beautiful views including wealthy houses and stunning scenes of the Potomac River,” Baris said

For those who don’t have bikes but would like to get out and ride, Capital Bikeshare allows people to rent bikes daily, monthly or annually. Bikeshare stations can be found throughout DC, and new plans have been announced to expand into lower Montgomery County.

“Capital Bikeshare was very convenient,” said junior Nora Cleary, who has used Bikeshare. “

I would recommend it to others because it is cheap and you can bike in places you never would have before.

For first-time bikers, several things must be kept in mind to ensure a safe and fun biking experience.

“Try to stay as close to the curb as possible, and take sidewalks whenever they are available,” Baris said. “Don’t do anything you’re not comfortable with.”

a safe and fun biking experience.